This vegan gluten free chocolate fudge cake is so rich and decadent - but not overly rich. It’s composed of moist, soft chocolate layers layered and smothered in silky smooth chocolate ganache buttercream. And topped with a few fresh berries for freshness.
This really is the tastiest simple vegan chocolate cake recipe you’ll get your hands on. It’s soft and rich just like Mary berry gluten free chocolate cake.
Master the art of baking GF, DF & Vegan
Baking Free From 101
- The best vegan chocolate cake
- Dairy free chocolate cake recipe
- Easy gluten free chocolate cake
- Gluten free chocolate fudge cake
- Best gluten free chocolate cake recipe
- Gluten free dairy free chocolate cake
- Vegan cake chocolate
- Quick vegan chocolate cake
Then you're in the right place. This recipe covers all of that.
Best gluten free chocolate cake mix
Will be making this vegan cake from scratch no cake box mix or anything like that.
So to make this quick easy vegan chocolate cake begin by, making the 'buttermilk' by combining the milk and vinegar to a jug/bowl and set it aside for 10mins.
In the mean time cream the vegan butter and caster sugar for 5 mins until pale and fluffy. Then add the apple sauce.
In a separate bowl whisk the GF flour, xanthan gum, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. Add the flour mix and milk alternatively into the butter and sugar mix, until fully combined.
Transfer to 2x 6 inch baking tins or 1 8 inch cake tin and bake for 1hr or until a skewer comes out clean.
Vegan chocolate frosting recipe
To make this dairy free chocolate frosting begin by making the vegan chocolate buttercream.
First cream together the butter and icing sugar for 5 mins until pal and fluffy then add the sifted coco powder and beat for a further 3 mins.
The second part to this frosting is the vegan chocolate ganache. To make this begin by, melting together 50g of vegan double cream and chocolate in a microwave for 30 second intervals. Leave to set in the fridge for ½hr.
Then add the ganache to the buttercream and beat for a further 2 min and done.
How to ice a vegan chocolate cake
Once the cake have fully cooled spread a spoonful of buttercream on each cake layer and around the sides of the cake. Then with the back of a spoon make swirl the buttercream to create a rustic design.
Once the cake is fully covered in buttercream top with fresh fruit. I used strawberries, blueberries and a fig.
How to decorate this gluten free vegan chocolate cake
Begin by spreading the chocolate ganache buttercream between the layers. Making sure it is evenly spread between the vegan cake layer
If you don’t follow a vegan or celiac lifestyle but still want to make this recipe? Then follow these simple ingredient substitutes and it’ll work just as well.
- Vegan butter TO Normal dairy butter/margarine
- Gluten free flour TO Plain flour
- Xanthan gum TO Not needed - as the gluten in the plain flour is enough to give the cake stability.
Vegan cake with applesauce
This ingredient is vital for this cake as it is used as our egg substitute. It is what creates that light, spongy texture. As well as a rich depth of flavor that helps to highlight the essence of the chocolate.
Here are my other vegan cake with applesauce recipes:
My top 3 ways of decorating my vegan cakes are:
- Fresh fruit - Really brings out the colour of the desert
- Sauces [custard, caramels, compote] - This can either be poured on top of the confection like a cheesecake to create a beautiful bright layer. Or you can use it to create a swirl on your confection
- Fresh flowers - These can be edible and placed on top of confections or fresh where you have sealed it’s stems with flower tape, and it works brilliantly! Flowers add vibrancy and elegance to your confection - but only where it fits.
Master the art of baking GF, DF & Vegan
Baking Free From 101
The vegan chocolate cake recipe
- electric whisk
- 2 6 inch cake tins or one 8 inch cake tin
- 100 g Vegan butter
- 175 g Caster sugar
- 360 g Gluten free plain flour
- 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 35 g Cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- 170 g Apple sauce
- 220 ml Plant based milk
- 1 ½ teaspoon Apple cider Vinegar
Chocolate Fudge Buttercream
- 2 tablespoon Vegan ganache (Refer to notes)
- 100 g Vegan butter
- 250 g Icing Sugar
- Fresh fruit (optional)
- Start by making the 'buttermilk' by combining the milk and vinegar to a jug/bowl and set it aside for 10mins.220 ml Plant based milk, 1 ½ teaspoon Apple cider Vinegar
- In the mean time cream the vegan butter and caster sugar for 5 mins until pale and fluffy. Then add the apple sauce.100 g Vegan butter, 175 g Caster sugar, 170 g Apple sauce
- In a separate bowl whisk the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.360 g Gluten free plain flour, 35 g Cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon Baking Powder, ½ teaspoon Baking soda, 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- Add the flour mix and milk alternatively into the butter and sugar mix, until fully combined.
- Transfer to baking tin/s and bake for 1hr or until a skewer comes out clean.
- As the cakes cool, begin by making the buttercream. First cream together the butter and icing sugar for 5 mins until pal and fluffy then add the sifted coco powder and beat for a further 3 mins.100 g Vegan butter, 250 g Icing Sugar
- Add the ganache and beat for 2 mins.2 tablespoon Vegan ganache
- Once the cake have fully cooled spread a spoonful of buttercream on each cake layer and around the sides of the cake. Then with the back of a spoon make swirl the buttercream to create a rustic design.
- Once the cake is fully covered in buttercream top with fresh fruit. I used strawberries, blueberries and a fig.Fresh fruit
This vegan gluten free chocolate cake tops all!
I’d love to hear your thoughts on this simple vegan chocolate cake
What would you like to see next perhaps, vegan cake frosting recipes, vegan vanilla Madeira cake or even a healthy layered cake?
Let me know in the comments
And like always if you do follow any of my recipes please tag me on instagram, pinterest, tiktok or facebook. I’d really love to see your creations! I’ll also be featuring your posts on my instagram stories so do have a look 🙂
© Leena. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.
This looks so yummy and moist. I am looking forward to making it.
so moist and decadent my sister will be happy with this gf amd vegan chocolate cake
Oh I'm glad thanks Jeannie!
This looks so delicious and easy to make.
Yes Natalia it really is!
This looks so good! My sister has celiac so I am always on the lookout for a good gluten-free cake. 🙂 Thanks for sharing.
Oh I'm glad you've found this recipe, its delicious!
Oh yum! My husband and I try to eat gluten-free since I have an intolerance to it and this recipe is perfect!
I'm sure you'll love it!
I have never heard of caster sugar. I wonder if I could use coconut sugar or truvia sugar instead?
Caster sugar is just a very fine sugar that helps to add volume and create a lighter texture to cakes. Now saying that coconut sugar wouldn't be the best substitute for this cake as it's granules are quite large and will likely create a different texture but since trivia sugar is very fine, that would be fine to use instead.
What an easy to bake cake! It sounds delicious. I’ve used applesauce in place of eggs and it always works so well. I’ve never added apple cider vinegar to a cake but definitely excited to try it out. Does it balance out a specific ingredient?
Well I guess you can say apple cider vinegar also helps with the replacement of eggs, this is because once combined with baking soda, it acts as a rising agent just like aerated/whipped eggs do in cakes. I believe this also what has helped create that thick airy sponge which is quite difficult to achieve with vegan AND gluten free cakes
I am always on the lookout for good GF recipes to make for my friends who do not eat gluten. This one sounds delicious!
Oh so glad you found this, it really is delicious!
This look soooo good!! I'm a huge fan of chocolate cake and vegan, so this is perfect! I can't wait to make this!