Tres Leche Cake
Welcome to my microwave series where I turn classic desserts into delicious, super quick and easy recipes from brownies, cakes, tray bakes and more, that you would never have imagined were made in the microwave!
Perfect for when you’re short on time or just craving something sweet. Not to mention with the cost of living crisis at an all time high, turning your oven on can be quite pricey so these recipes are the perfect alternative for a quick dessert made at a fraction of the time.
This tres leche cake is super soft and fluffy and infused with cinnamon and nutmeg. Delicious.
The sponge is so light and airy and smothered in a smooth, thick cream lightly spiced with cinnamon. Oh.. and it’s made in LESS THAN 10mins!
Cake in microwave recipe
If you’d prefer to make this cake bigger - like a loaf cake - simply double this recipe and use a slightly larger heatproof, glass/ceramic dish to bake it in.
This recipe for tres leche cake is also dairy and gluten free. If you'd prefer not to make it dairy and gluten free then check out my substitutes list so you can make this suitable for all dietary requirements.
In this recipe for microwave cake I will be going through how to make tres leches cake and answering your FAQs such as ‘how to make cake in microwave’ ‘what should I bake this cake in’ ‘how long does microwave cake last’ and so much more.
A really great thing about this cake in the microwave recipe is how versatile it is. Which is what makes this tres leche dessert best. For example, you can make this into a classic vanilla cake, or a sweet caramel and cinnamon cake by mixing caramel into the batter along with the cinnamon using my super simple 3 ingredient caramel recipe!
I’ll also be sharing some more flavor variations and mix in’s below. And would highly recommend you check that part of this post out!
If you’re looking for more easy microwave recipes to add to your baking list check out my Cake In a Mug - Berry Cobbler and Lemon Cake Drizzle Recipe
- Tres Leche Ingredients
- Top tip - Microwave cake easy
- Baking Free From 101
- Trending Posts
- The Best Cinnamon Rolls
- Simple Recipe For Banana Bread
- Easy No Eggs Chocolate Cake - Raspberry Chocolate Ganache Cake
- Simple 2 Ingredient Ganache With Milk Chocolate Recipe
Tres Leche Ingredients
- Gluten Free flour - This can either be gluten free plain or self-raising flour. If you don’t want to make this gluten free - look at my substitutes list below.
- Dairy Free Butter – This can be in spread or block form at room temperature .
- Caster sugar – I like to use caster sugar in my cakes which is just very refined sugar. So if you can’t find caster sugar I’d recommend using refined or normal granulated sugar.
- Cream - I used plant based double cream to make this dairy free
- Vegan caramel - I used this in place of evaporated but you can also use plant based/vegan evaporated/condensed milk to make this dairy free.
See recipe card for quantities.
Cake in a microwave recipe
- Begin by lining your heat proof dish with greaseproof/parchment paper.
- Mix together the flour, rising agents, sugar and butter until smooth.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
4. Add the spices and pour the batter into your dish. Bake in the microwave for 6 mins, making sure to stop it every minute to prevent the cake from over flowing.Remove from the microwave and allow it to cool for 10 mins.
5. As it cools make the cream, by whipping the cream until stiff peaks then add the caramel. Then poke holes through the cake.
6. Once the cake has cooled down, make the milk mix by combing the milk and caramel.
How to bake microwave cake
7. Pour the milk mixture on top so it can soak through. Then top with cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
8. Slice and enjoy!
If you’d prefer not to make this microwave loaf cake specific to any dietary requirements, simply substitute the ingredients that correlate to your needs to make this tres leche cake suitable for your diet.
- Gluten free - If you’d prefer not to make this microwave cake gluten-free simply substitute the gluten-free flour for normal plain flour.
- Dairy free - If you’d prefer not to make this microwave cake dairy free simply substitute the dairy free butter for ordinary butter, specifically block butter
- Cream - Simply substitute the plans based double cream for full fat double cream if you’d prefer not to make this dairy free.
Even if you don’t follow a specific diet (eg. gluten free), you may have friends or family that could use this.
Simple ways you can change this recipe to better suit your dinner guests:
Prefer something chocolatey?
Check out my 7 minute decadent chocolate microwave cake. The microwave cake sponge is so rich and decadent and smothered in a glossy chocolate ganache. Oh.. and it’s made in LESS THAN 10mins!
Looking for something more zesty?
Then you NEED to try this lemon loaf cake it’s inspired by starbucks lemon loaf cake and it’s tastes incredible.
Looking for a good super quick brownies recipe - check out these brownies - they’re made in 5 minutes!
Let me know in the comments if you try these variations or if you came up with your own!
For this recipe you’ll need a heat proof glass/ceramic dish, this is similar to the one I use, which I line with greaseproof/parchment paper so you can easily remove it from the dish.
Storing and freezing microwave cake
How long does tres leche cake last?
This will stay good at room temperature for up to 5 days, and in the freezer for up to 2 months if stored in an airtight container.
Top tip - Microwave cake easy
Although this recipe is super simple to make, here are just a few expert tips I'd recommend:
Don’t fill your baking dish too much/high as this cake does rise! And may overflow out of your dish if filled to the top
Allow the cake to cool for at least 20 -30 mins before decorating with cream, as the cream will melt and dissolve into the cake if added onto a hot cake.
Master the art of baking GF, DF & Vegan
Baking Free From 101
Make sure to tag me @whiskmefree on Instagram and leave a review below if you made this tres leche cake. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card or on any of the photos above. Happy baking!
Microwave Tres LeChes
- Heat proof dish
- 120 g Caster sugar
- 100 g Gluten Free flour
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda
- 100 g Dairy free butter
- ½ teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
- 2 Eggs
- 180 ml Plant based milk
- ½ tablespoon Caramel
- 200 g Plant based double cream
- 2 tablespoon Powdered Sugar
- ½ tablespoon Vegan Caramel
- Begin by lining your heat proof dish with greaseproof/parchment paper.
- Mix together the flour, rising agents, sugar and butter until smooth.120 g Caster sugar, 100 g Gluten Free flour, ¼ teaspoon Baking Powder, ¼ teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda, 100 g Dairy free butter
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.2 Eggs
- Add the spices and pour the batter into your dish½ teaspoon Ground cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
- Bake in the microwave for 6 mins, making sure to stop it every minute to prevent the cake from over flowing.
- Remove from the microwave and allow it to cool for 10 mins. As it cools make the cream, by whipping the cream until stiff peaks then add the caramel.
- Once the cake has cooled down, make the milk mix by combing the milk and caramel180 ml Plant based milk, ½ tablespoon Caramel
- Then poke holes through the cake and pour the milk mixture on top so it can soak through. Then top with cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.200 g Plant based double cream, 2 tablespoon Powdered Sugar, ½ tablespoon Vegan Caramel
- Slice and enjoy!
© Leena. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.
Fransic verso says
I didn't know we can make a cake in less than 10 minutes. This is very interesting and it looks yummy.
Just made this and I am blown away with how well it turned out the sponge was so fluffy and soft! I'll be making this again for sure