These quick vegan lemon poppyseed muffins require less than 10 pantry staples and come together in just 30 minutes!
This eggless lemon muffins recipe makes 12 well risen lemon muffins. Perfect to bring to a picnic!
These easy vegan lemon muffins are so soft and spongy. Speckled with poppyseed and sprinkled with almond flakes for crunch. And lightly sweetened with a zesty lemon drizzle. This vegan lemon poppy seed muffin recipe is perfection.
If you’d prefer not to make these eggless lemon poppy seed muffins vegan and/gluten free I have a section below of what ingredients you can substitute it with. Making it suitable for all dietary requirements
In this post I’ll also be going through your FAQ’s like, “can you use this recipe to make healthy vegan lemon muffins”, “how to make lemon muffins without oil ”, “can you use this recipe to make vegan lemon chia seed muffins” and so much more.
Expert Baking Tips for making these vegan gf lemon muffins
Although this vegan lemon muffins gluten free recipe is super easy, here are just a few expert tips i'd recommend:
- Place your muffin cases in the muffin tin with a gap between each; this will allow the muffins to rise more as the heat is more evenly distributed.
- I’d recommend sprinkling on some flaked almonds on top of your muffins before baking to add some texture to the muffins.
Master the art of baking GF, DF & Vegan
Baking Free From 101
Gluten free vegan lemon poppy seed muffins
Vegan lemon and poppyseed muffins - Ingredients
Here's everything I used to make the best vegan lemon muffins
- Gluten Free Plain Flour – this is paired with xanthan gum to give more stability to the cake to prevent it from crumbling.
- Oil – I’d recommend a flavorless oil so it doesn't overpower the lemon flavor. Like vegetable, sunflower or rapeseed oil.
- Lemon Juice – This can also be accompanied by a little lemon zest to add more lemon flavor
- Caster sugar – I like to use caster sugar in my cakes which is just a very refined sugar. So if you can’t find caster sugar I’d recommend using very refined granulated sugar.
Non-Vegan and gluten free alternative.
If you didn't want to make this lemon loaf cake vegan and gluten free simply substitute the plant-based milk for regular whole or skimmed milk.
The gluten free flour for normal self-raising flour and remove the xanthan gum as there's no need to add this to non-gluten free bakes.
Vegan lemon muffins recipe
Vegan lemon drizzle muffins - Step by step instructions
Begin by mixing the flour, baking powder, Xanthan Gum and sugar into a bowl. Then add the milk, oil and lemon juice. Mix until smooth.
Once incorporated add the poppy seeds and mix, being careful not to over mix.
Use an ice cream scoop or a large spoon to divide the mixture into your muffin tin, filing the muffins cases near to the top. Sprinkle with a few almond flakes before baking (optional)
Bake for 25-30mins or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre. Once the muffins have cooled drizzle the icing on top. To make it simply combine the icing sugar and lemon juice.
Easy flavor variations/Mix Ins
This recipe is extremely adaptive. You can easily add whatever flavor profile to your cake. Some examples can include,
Lemon and blueberry. For this simply scatter in 200g fresh/frozen blueberries once all the other ingredients have been incorporated. Then scoop the batter into your muffin cases.
Lemon and lime for this incorporate 50% of the account of lemon juice in the original recipe and the 50% of lime juice. Once baked drizzle on some icing flavored with lemon/lime juice.
Lemon and raspberry. For this simply scatter in 200g fresh/frozen raspberries once all the other ingredients have been incorporated. Then scoop the batter into your muffin cases.
For all these variations the same baking time remains the same - 25mins at 180 degrees c or 365 degrees f
Can I use this recipe to make vegan oil free lemon muffins ?
I haven’t tried this method myself but melting vegan butter in place of the oil should do the trick, as plant-based butter is made mostly from oil. However, there is liquid in the vegan butter to help it stay solid so adding an extra tablespoon or 2 of the melted butter should work. Again, I have tested this out, bit if you do let me know in the comments how you got on.
Can I use this recipe to make vegan lemon chia seed muffinsl ?
Unfortunately, poppyseeds and chia seeds are completely different. Chia seeds absorb moisture and tend to make mixtures very thick. So using it in place of poppyseeds will likely result in a stodgy, dense cake.
Storing and freezing
Can vegan lemon poppy seed muffins gluten free be frozen ?
Yes, however, I’d recommend freezing prior to adding the drizzle. Also make sure your cake is completely covered in a sealed container and it can last for up to 3 months.
Make sure to tag me @whiskmefree on Instagram and leave a review below if you made these vegan lemon poppyseed muffins. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card or on any of the photos above. Happy baking!
Vegan lemon poppyseed muffins
Vegan Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
- Muffin/Cupcake Tin
- 350 g Gluten Free self raising flour
- 1 tablespoon Xanthan Gum
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 200 g Caster sugar / Refined granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon Poppy seeds
- 55 ml Lemon juice (approx 1 large lemon)
- 245 ml Plant based milk
- 160 g Vegetable oil
- Flaked Almonds (optional)
- 20 g Icing Sugar
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 180°/365°F and grease and flour your baking tin/line your baking tray.
- Mix the dry ingredients into a bowl.350 g Gluten Free self raising flour, 1 tablespoon Xanthan Gum, 2 teaspoon Baking Powder, 200 g Caster sugar / Refined granulated sugar
- Then add the milk, oil and lemon juice. Mix until smooth. Then add the poppy seeds and mix until fully incorporated - don't over mix.55 ml Lemon juice, 245 ml Plant based milk, 160 g Vegetable oil, 2 tablespoon Poppy seeds
- Use an ice cream scoop or a large spoon to divide the mixture into your muffin tin, filing the muffins cases near to the top. Sprinkle with a few almond flakes (optional)Flaked Almonds
- Bake for 25-30mins or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre.
- Once the muffins have cooled drizzle the icing on top. To make it simply combine the icing sugar and lemon juice.20 g Icing Sugar, 2 tablespoon Lemon juice
© Leena. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.