This vegan custard recipe is extremely easy to make, and is smooth, creamy and sweet just like traditional english custard.
- Vegan custard cake filling
- Vegan custard agar
- Quick vegan custard
- Vegan custard recipe dairy free
- Vegan custard filling recipe
Then you're in the right place. This recipe covers all of that.
Master the art of baking GF, DF & Vegan
Baking Free From 101
How to make vegan custard
To make this easy vegan vanilla custard simply combine the caster sugar, cornflour, vanilla and plant based milk and single cream, into a saucepan. You can also add a pinch of turmeric as I have to create that traditional custard appearnce.
Mix the ingredients on medium heat until fully combined and begins to thicken. It is important to be continuously mixing so you don’t form any lumps. And your custard is nice and smooth.
Once thickened (should coat the back of a spoon) remove from heat and transfer to a serving jug/bowl and cover with cling film. Making sure the cling film is touching the custard to prevent it from forming skin as it cools.
Done, ready to serve your vegan dessert with custard.
If you find your custard does have lumps simply sieve it over a bowl to remove them and you should be left with a smooth custard.
And just like before, cover with clingfilm if not using it straight away, to prevent a skin from forming 🙂
This quick vegan custard will work brilliantly well as a vegan custard filling between a vanilla, chocolate or even a mixed spiced layered cake.
Perhaps, if you wanted to make a smaller dessert, then vegan custard cupcakes would be delicious. Using the homemade vegan custard to fill the cupcakes. Or perhaps you’d prefer to personalize the flavour of the custard to match your cupcakes like a vegan lemon custard filling?
Maybe something more fancy - mini vegan vanilla patisserie cakes served with warm vegan custard!
Or even a vegan custard pudding like sticky toffee pudding served with custard.
The options are endless, to create a vegan custard dessert.
Healthy vegan custard
To make this vegan gluten free custard healthy, substitute the caster sugar for 1tbsp honey or maple syrup to add sweetness.
Super simple vegan custard
- 120 ml Oat milk single cream
- 150 ml Plant based milk
- 2 tablespoon Caster sugar
- 2 tablespoon Cornflour
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- Pinch Turmeric (optional)
- Simply combine all the ingredients into a saucepan. You can also add a pinch of turmeric as I have to create that traditional custard colour.120 ml Oat milk single cream, 150 ml Plant based milk, 2 tablespoon Caster sugar, 2 tablespoon Cornflour, 1 teaspoon Vanilla, Pinch Turmeric
- Mix the ingredients on medium heat until fully combined and begins to thicken. It is important to be continuously mixing so you don’t form any lumps. And your custard is nice and smooth.
- If you do have any lumps to refer to my troubleshooting section above.
- Once thickened (should coat the back of a spoon) remove from heat and transfer to a serving jug/bowl and cover with cling film. Making sure the cling film is touching the custard to prevent it from forming skin as it cools.
- Done, ready to serve on your vegan dessert.
Let me know your thoughts on this easy vegan custard recipe.
I’d love to hear your thoughts on this vegan custard. Did it turn out as you expected?
Was the best vegan custard you’ve had? Do you have any flavored custard recipes you’d like to see, or tutorials to plate your custard?
Let me know in the comments below.
© Leena. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.
Great idea! Love your site!
Thank you Kelly!
This sounds delicious and so easy to make! I love your simple troubleshooting method for this as well! Thank you for sharing!
Thank you, I'm glad you found it useful!
Mihaela | https://theworldisanoyster.com/ says
I love it! I had no idea you can make custard without eggs. I'm trying your version the next time!