This is my s'mores cupcakes real simple recipe. And it’s quite possibly the best recipe I have ever developed! They are soft and fluffy with gooey marshmallows and chunky pieces of chopped chocolate scattered throughout.
It’s the perfect treat to bring to a gathering/BBQ or just everyday baking. They look fancy enough for any celebration.
What’s great about this vegan s'mores cake recipe is how versatile it is. By adding just a touch less plant-based milk to the batter these marshmallow chocolate chip muffins turn into the most delicious s’more cookies!
In this post, I’ll also be going through your FAQs like, “How long do muffins keep fresh ”, “how to make s'mores cupcakes with marshmallow fluff”, “can you make s'mores in an oven ” and so much more.
If you’re looking for more cupcake recipes to add to your baking list check out my Easy Gluten Free Vegan Strawberry Cupcakes and Lemon Cupcakes That’s Vegan AND Gluten Free
Expert Baking Tips for making these easy s'mores in the oven
Although this recipe for these marshmallow chocolate chip muffins is super easy, here are just a few expert tips I'd recommend:
- Make sure your vegan butter is properly creamed into the sugar before adding the plant-based milk
- Use an ice cream scoop to evenly place an equal amount of batter on each muffin case.
- Fill the muffins close to the top of their case, to make a nice neat muffin dome.
Master the art of baking GF, DF & Vegan
Baking Free From 101
Making s'mores cupcakes with marshmallow inside
Here's everything I used to make these s'mores cupcakes real simple
- Gluten-Free Plain Flour – this is paired with xanthan gum to give more stability to the muffins to prevent them from crumbling. However, if you’d prefer not to make these gluten-free simply substitute the gluten-free flour for normal plain flour. There’s also no need to add xanthan gum as the gluten in the normal flour will prevent the muffins from crumbling.
- Dairy-Free Butter – This can either be dairy-free spread or vegan block butter at room temperature to be creamed into the sugars.
- Plant-based milk – I used oat milk but almond, soya, or any other plant-based milk will work well too.
- Caster sugar – I like to use caster sugar in my muffins which is just very refined sugar. So if you can’t find caster sugar I’d recommend using very refined granulated sugar.
If you don't want to make this mini marshmallow muffin recipe vegan simply substitute the dairy-free butter for regular block butter or margarine, the plant-based milk for normal whole or skimmed milk, and the vegan chocolate for normal dark/milk chocolate.
Mini marshmallow muffin recipe
How to makes s'mores - Step-by-step instructions
How do you make s'mores cupcakes with marshmallow fluff ?
If you'd prefer to use marshmallow fluff in place of mini marshmallows for this recipe. Then I'd recommend not incorporating it into the batter. Instead, spoon a teaspoon of fluff in the centre of the muffins before baking. This will create a yummy oozy marshmallow centre.
Can you bake s’mores ?
Yes, although traditional s'mores are roasted baking s'mores still allow the marshmallows to be toasted and golden. That is exactly what happens to the mini marshmallows on top of these muffins.
Can you make muffins with margarine ?
Yes, but make sure if you do want to make these muffins vegan that you are using dairy-free margarine/spread.
Storing and freezing
How long do muffins keep ?
These muffins are at their best for up to 2 days in an airtight container, 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge, and up to 3 months in the freezer in an airtight container.
Make sure to tag me @whiskmefree on Instagram and leave a review below if you made these s'mores cupcakes real simple recipe. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card or on any of the photos above. Happy baking!
S'mores cupcakes real simple recipe
S'mores MuffinsPrint Pin Rate Add to Collection Go to Collections
- Muffin/Cupcake Tin
- 124 g Vegan butter
- 200 g Light Brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 220 ml Plant-based milk
- 300 g Gluten Free flour
- 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 100 g Vegan chocolate
- Vegan Marshmallows
- Preheat your oven to 180°c and line your muffin/cupcake tin. Set aside while you make the cake batter.
- Begin by creaming together your butter, oil, and sugar until smooth. Then mix in your milk – it might look as though it curdled but that's normal.124 g Vegan butter, 200 g Light Brown sugar, 1 tablespoon Vegetable oil, 220 ml Plant-based milk
- Add the flour and Xanthan Gum and mix in gently with a whisk. Finally, fold in your chopped chocolate and marshmallows leaving ¼ for the top of the cookies.300 g Gluten Free flour, 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum, 100 g Vegan chocolate, Vegan Marshmallows
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the batter into your cupcake cases filling it close to the top. And sprinkle with a few more marshmallows.Vegan Marshmallows
- Bake for 10 mins and they should be slightly golden in color and the marshmallows roasted. A skewer should also come out clean when inserted into the center.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the tray for 5 mins so they can further bake. Finally enjoy with a glass of plant-based milk, tea, or whatever you fancy!
© Leena. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.
Hi there, this weekend I made these and they were amazing! I will be making them again
Just made these cupcakes they're delicious!