This simple recipe for banana bread is extremely light and moist and PACKED with chocolate. This chocolate cake is full of chocolate chips, smothered in ganache and coated in chocolate shavings. Delicious.
This banana bread with chocolate chips recipe is the perfect cake for any occasion. And the perfect dessert for everyone to enjoy, this banana bread gluten free dairy free!
This recipe for chocolate chip banana bread is super easy to make, requires just 7 everyday pantry ingredients and comes together in less than an hour!
This simple recipe of banana bread was inspired by my Strawberry Banana Bread Which is you can have enjoy as a breakfast, snack or dessert. And its free from fat, sugar and gluten!
In this recipes for chocolate banana bread will be going through how make banana bread and answering your FAQs such as ‘Can you make banana bread with nuts’ ‘can banana bread be frozen’ ‘how long does banana bread last’ and so much more.
A really great thing about this choc chip banana bread recipe is how versatile it is. Which is what makes this simple recipe for banana bread best. For example, you can make this banana bread recipe with nuts like a combination of chocolate and walnuts for extra texture, or substitute the chocolate chips completely with berries of your choice.
I’ll also be sharing some more flavor variations and mix in’s below. And would highly recommend you check that part of this post out!
This recipes to make banana bread requires less than 10 simple pantry ingredients.
If you’re looking for more cake recipes to add to your baking list check out my RASPBERRY CHOCOLATE GANACHE CAKE
- Ingredients Banana Bread
- Instructions - How do you make a banana bread
- Variations - Banana Bread Dessert
- Banana Bread Storage
- Top tip
- Baking Free From 101
- Trending Posts
- The Easiest 2 Ingredient Pain au chocolat And It's Vegan!
- The Easiest Quick 5 Ingredient Vegan Tarte Tatin
- Super Easy Creme Brulee Blondies - And It's Vegan!
- Biscoff Cream Cake: A Quick and Easy Vegan Dessert
Ingredients Banana Bread
- Vegan butter – This can be vegan/dairy free spread or block butter at room temperature
- Sugar – I like to use caster sugar in my cakes which is just very refined sugar. So if you can’t find caster sugar I’d recommend using refined or normal granulated sugar.
- Chocolate chips - you can use choc chips or chopped chocolate
- Bananas- these should be ripe
- Gluten free flour - this can be plain or self raising flour, if however, you’d prefer not to make this cake gluten free then check out my substitutes list below 🙂
- Baking powder and bicarbonate of soda - raising agents
- Plant based milk - you can use soya, almond, coconut or pea milk
- Eggs - makes the cake light and risen
See recipe card for quantities.
Instructions - How do you make a banana bread
- Begin by mashing your ripe bananas in a bowl with a fork, then add the melted butter and sugar.
- Once combined, whisk in the egg, then slowly mix in the flour and baking powder.
3. Chop the chocolate and mix into the batter, then pour the batter into your prepared tin and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean with a few crumbs.
3. As the cake cools make the ganache and pour it over the entire cake.
4. Decorate with some chocolate shaving.
5. Finally, all that's left to do is slice and enjoy!
If you’d prefer not to make this banana bread recipe specific to any dietary requirement, simply substitute the ingredients that correlate to your needs to make it suitable for your diet.
- Eggless- if you’d prefer not to make this banana bread eggless use flax egg - a combination of 2tbsp flax seed and 6tbsp water. [This is equivalent to 2 eggs]
- Dairy free - If you’d prefer not to make this dairy free simply substitute the dairy free butter for ordinary butter. And the plant based milk for whole milk
Even if you don’t follow a specific diet (eg. gluten free diet ), you may have friends or family that could use this.
Variations - Banana Bread Dessert
Simple ways you can change this recipe to better suit your dinner guests:
Feeling a bit adventurous? Why not try adding some chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans along with chocolate for more texture
Prefer something more fruity ?
Then I’d recommend substituting the chocolate chips for blueberries. These can be fresh or frozen and would also recommend not making the chocolate ganache to decorate the cake, unless you like the combination of chocolate and blueberries.
Prefer just a classic banana bread ?
If you're not a huge fan of chocolate then you may remove the chocolate chips in the cake and the ganache glaze to make it into a simple banana bread recipe.
However, I think these are great additions and make for a more indulgent cake. But you can make this cake however you like.
Let me know in the comments if you try these variations or if you came up with your own!
For this recipe you’ll need a basic loaf cake tin, this is the one I use [link] and I use it all the time.
Banana Bread Storage
Storing and freezing banana bread recipes chocolate chips
How long does banana bread recipes chocolate chip last?
This cake should be kept at room temperature for up to 2 days but can be frozen for up to a month prior to glazing and if stored in an airtight container.
Although this banana bread how to make recipe is super simple to make, here are just a few expert tips I'd recommend:
Make sure to properly grease and flour your tin before pouring in the batter to ensure your cake doesn’t stick. Check out my guide here.
You may mash your bananas with a fork but if you prefer a more smooth purée without any banana chunks you can also blend the bananas into a smooth purée.
Master the art of baking GF, DF & Vegan
Baking Free From 101
Make sure to tag me @whiskmefree on Instagram and leave a review below if you followed this simple recipe for banana bread. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card or on any of the photos above. Happy baking!
- loaf tin
- 3 Medium Bananas
- 75 g Dairy free butter (melted)
- 145 g Sugar
- 1 L Egg
- 200 g Gluten Free Plain Flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 80 g Dairy and Gluten Free Chocolate
- Chocolate Shavings (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 180°/365°F and grease and flour your loaf tin and set aside.
- Begin by mashing your ripe bananas in a bowl with a fork, then add the melted butter and sugar.3 Medium Bananas, 75 g Dairy free butter, 145 g Sugar
- Once combined, whisk in the egg, then slowly mix in the flour and baking powder.1 L Egg, 200 g Gluten Free Plain Flour, ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- Chop the chocolate and mix into the batter, then pour the batter into your prepared tin and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean with a few crumbs.80 g Dairy and Gluten Free Chocolate
- As the cake cools make the ganache and pour it over the entire cake and decorate with some chocolate shaving.Chocolate Shavings
- Finally, all that's left to do is slice and enjoy!
© Whisk Me Free. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.