French toast is such a delicious breakfast, but not one everyone can enjoy when it comes to allergies. So I’ve developed the best recipe for vegan french toast that’s eggless, gluten-free and dairy-free!
Using anytype of gluten free bread the plant-based milk mixture I’ve created will create a moist, slightly crunchy, soft bread. Lightly spiced with cinnamon and sweetened with a drizzle of syrup of choice.
Let’s be honest french toast is the perfect dessert/breakfast all year round but in the summer in my opinion they’re even better. With a few chopped strawberries to the top and a dollop of whipped cream – vegan of course.
This recipe for eggless french toast is completely vegan, gluten free, and nut free. If however, you’d prefer these not to be vegan there’s an ingredient substitute list below labeled ‘non-vegan alternative’ so you can make this easy gluten free french toast recipe non-vegan.
This recipe is so simple and quick to make you can make this gluten free french toast recipe in one pan, so little washing up is required.
In this post I’ll also be going through your FAQ’s like, “can you freeze vegan french toast”, “Can you make this vegan baked french toast healthy”, “how much calories in french toast” and so much more.
Expert Baking Tips for making this gluten free vegan french toast
Although this gluten and egg free french toast recipe is super easy, here are just a few expert tips i’d recommend:
- Make sure your pan is properly greased before frying to avoid the bottom of the bread from burning or becoming too crisp.
- Don’t remove the bread from the pan until it’s soaked up all the milk mixture.
- Wait at least 10mins before digging into the toast, to allow it to firm up.
Master the art of baking GF, DF & Vegan
Baking Free From 101
How to make easy vegan french toast – Gluten free vegan french toast recipe
Eggless French Toast Ingredients
Here’s the vegan french toast ingredients. This is everything I used to make this french toast with gluten free bread
- Gluten-free Bread – this can be anytype of gluten free bread. However, as we are making this vegan also keep an eye out for egg whites or milk in the bread.
- Vegan Butter – This can be the block or spreadable kind. If you’d prefer not to make these brownies vegan you can substitute this for margarine or block butter.
- Cocoa Powder – Adding a combination of cocoa powder and melted chocolate adds a richness to the brownies and helps create that fudge texture.
- Caster sugar – I like to use caster sugar which is just a very refined sugar. So if you can’t find caster sugar I’d recommend using very refined granulated sugar.
- Plant based milk – I used oat milk but any other plant based milk will work well here too like soya or almond.
- Cinnamon – this adds sweetness and slight warmth to the toast.
- Cornflour – this helps to thicken the milk when heated on the pan.
If you don’t want to make this french toast gluten and dairy free and vegan simply substitute the vegan butter for regular block butter or margarine. The plant-based for whole or skimmed milk, and the gluten free bread for a bread of choice.
The best gluten free french toast recipe
Gluten and egg free french toast recipe – Step by step instructions
- Mix together the milk, cornflour and spices in a glass/bowl until fully incorporated.
- Grease a frying pan with butter and place your bread slices on the pan.
- Then pour the milk mixture onto the bread and fry on each side for 3 mins
- Once browned/toasted remove from heat and plate. Serve with cream and fresh berries, enjoy!
FAQs for this recipe for gluten free french toast
Can you make this vegan french toast healthy ?
Yes, and it’s actually really simple. Instead of adding the sugar add a tbsp of maple syrup in place. You can also opt out of adding the whipped cream on top and instead decorate the toast with strawberries and maple syrup or honey.
Can i make french toast without milk ?
Yes and no. You can make this french toast without regular dairy milk, but you will need a milk substitute like plant-based milk. I’d recommend this vegan french toast oat milk or vegan french toast almond milk. Soy milk will also work well.
Can I make this vegan french toast overnight ?
Yes, if you’re short for time and would prefer to make this the night before for breakfast you can do. However, I wouldn’t recommend storing it in the fridge for more than 16hrs.
Storing and freezing
Can you freeze vegan french toast ?
No, unfortunately, I would not recommend freezing this. As the bread has been heated it’ll likely cause it to lose its freshness more quickly. In addition, it will likely result in a soggy bread when defrosted.
Make sure to tag me @whiskmefree on Instagram and leave a review below if you followed this recipe for vegan french toast. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card or on any of the photos above. Happy baking!
Recipe for vegan french toast
Recipe For Vegan French Toast
- 120 ml milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Mixed spice
- 1/4 tsp Ground ginger
- 2 Slices Bread Gluten free/vegan
- 1 tbsp Cornflour
- 1 tbsp Vegan butter
- 50 g Vegan double cream
- Mix together the milk, cornflour and spices in a glass/bowl until fully incorporated.120 ml milk, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp Mixed spice, 1/4 tsp Ground ginger, 1 tbsp Cornflour
- Grease a frying pan with butter and place your bread slices on the pan.2 Slices Bread, 1 tbsp Vegan butter
- Then pour the milk mixture onto of the bread and fry on each side for 3 mins
- Once browned/toasted remove from heat and plate.
- Serve with cream and fresh berries, enjoy!50 g Vegan double cream, Berries
© Leena. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.