This recipe for vegan cinnamon rolls is so simple and makes the perfect dessert, snack or breakfast.
You don't always need to spend hours waiting to prove your cinnamon roll dough to create delicious cinnamon rolls recipe vegan. And I’m going to show you how to make these easy dairy free cinnamon rolls that are sweet, crunchy and slightly nutty.
A really great thing about this vegan cinnamon roll dough is how customisable you can make them to suit any flavor profile or dietary requirement. Take for example, for this recipe I created the traditional cinnamon roll using brown sugar,dairy free spread and cinnamon.
But you can easily switch it up by making a blueberry jam filling. PB and J rolls with Peanut butter and jam!
I’ll also be sharing some more flavor variations and mix in’s below. And would highly recommend you check that part of this post out!
This dairy free cinnamon bun recipe requires less than 10 ingredients and comes together in less than 4hrs!
Expert Baking Tips for the eggless cinnamon rolls with yeast
Cinnamon Rolls Easy
Although this easy vegan cinnamon scrolls recipe is super easy, here are just a few expert tips i'd recommend:
- Make sure your plant-based milk is warm (approx 100-110 degrees F) to react with the yeast.
- Remember to have around 5 tablespoon of flour on the side to mix into the dough after proving.
- Prove the dough in a warm spot, this will make the yeast more active and allow it to rise more efficiently.
- Once proved, roll the dough between 2 sheets of cling film. Because the dough is naturally very sticky, it will be impossible to roll the dough onto the counter without it sticking and creating a mess.
- I’ve found that rolling the dough between 2 sheets of cling film- one on the counter and one covering the dough, prevents sticking and saves you from using more flour to dust the counter.
- Once the dough is rolled and the filing has been spread on. Slice the dough into strips, lengthways, and roll it into individual cinnamon rolls.
Master the art of baking GF, DF & Vegan
Baking Free From 101
How to make cinnamon rolls
Ingredients for cinnamon rolls
Here's everything I used to make these cinnamon rolls without eggs
- Plain flour - It’s important not to use self-raising flour as it will create a bread-like texture rather than a soft, fluffy cinnamon roll.
- Baking Powder - Helps the cinnamon dough to rise.
- Yeast - Helps the dough to rise also, and create fluffy soft cinnamon rolls.
- Oil - I used sunflower oil but any other flavorless oil will also work well here
- Plant-based milk - I used oat milk for these no dairy cinnamon rolls but almond or soya milk will also work well here too.
- Caster Sugar - Caster sugar is just a very refined sugar. So if you can’t find caster sugar I’d recommend using very refined granulated sugar.
- Ground cinnamon - You can't make cinnamon rolls without cinnamon!
- Brown sugar - Pairs really well with the cinnamon and helps create a more soft filling.
- Vegan butter - I’d recommend using vegan spread for the cinnamon filling as it is a lot easier to spread onto the dough. You can also use vegan block butter. Just make sure it’s soft before spreading it on, or else it will likely pull and tear the dough.
Non Vegan alternative.
If you don't want to make these easy cinnamon rolls vegan simply substitute the vegan butter for regular block butter or margarine and the plant based milk for normal whole milk.
If you didn't want to make these vegan. But you were wondering how to make dairy free cinnamon rolls, I’d recommend following Ashley’s recipe on dairy free cinnamon rolls with eggs.
How to cinnamon rolls from scratch
How to make vegan cinnamon rolls - Step by step instructions
For these cinnamon rolls begin by, pouring the plant-based milk into a bowl, along with your sugar. Then sprinkle on your yeast and set that aside for 10 mins.
In the meantime, mix together your dry ingredients in a large bowl. And prepare your tin, by greasing it with some plant based butter or flavorless oil.
Then add the oil to the milk, stir and pour into your dry ingredients. Mix until it comes together into a sticky ball. Cover with a kitchen towel or cling film/plastic wrap. And prove for just an hour.
Once proved add the remaining flour. Then roll the dough in between 2 sheets of cling film/plastic wrap. [This will prevent the dough from sticking from the table]. Roll the dough until it is approx 0.5cm in thickness.
Make the cinnamon roll filling by creaming together the vegan butter, sugar and cinnamon.
Spread on the cinnamon filling and slice the dough lengthways, and roll into individual buns. Place the cinnamon rolls on your baking tray and bake for 1hour, or until the rolls are golden in color and firm.
Icing for cinnamon rolls - How to cinnamon roll icing
As these are dairy free egg free cinnamon rolls, we are topping them with a dairy free icing for cinnamon rolls.
This vegan cinnamon rolls icing, is just a simple combination of icing sugar and plant-based milk! Yes that’s all. Mix these 2 together to create a sweet slightly creamy drizzle to smoother all over your homemade dairy free cinnamon rolls.
Finally, peel away one of the buns from the tray and enjoy!
Flavour Variations and Mixins
There's so many different flavor profiles you can create for these quick vegan cinnamon rolls. Here are some examples:
PB & J Dairy free soy free cinnamon rolls
Following the same recipe for this cinnamon roll dough, instead of a traditional cinnamon filling, spread on some smooth or crunchy peanut butter and then a jam of choice.
These vegan cinnamon rolls without butter. Are filled with my super simple 4 ingredient jam Making these rolls bursting with flavor, perfect for summer!
Let me know in the comments if you try these variations or if you came up with your own!
Where to bake cinnamon rolls ?
Although it’s a relatively common knowledge where you bake cinnamon rolls, you’d be surprised how many people have googled this question. So I’ll clear it up for those asking. You’re going to want to make these cinnamon rolls in your oven.
I have also come across many cinnamon roll recipes made in the air fryer! Take Melanie’s recipe for example. She’s developed a super simple recipe that I’d recommend, especially if you're short on time and fancy a delicious treat!
Vegan cinnamon rolls calories ?
They’re are .. calories in these cinnamon rolls.
How can you make cinnamon rolls without eggs ?
Eggs act as a binder and help the cinnamon rolls rise. So in order to make cinnamon rolls vegan, we use extra plant-based milk to bind the dough together, baking powder and yeast to help the dough rise.
Storing and freezing
When to freeze cinnamon rolls ?
If you’d like to freeze your cinnamon rolls, freeze them after being full cooled, without the vegan cinnamon rolls glaze.
How long cinnamon rolls bake ?
Bake for 1hour, or until the rolls are golden in color and firm at 180 degrees c or 356 degrees f.
Where to store cinnamon rolls ?
Store these in an airtight container, at room temperature up to 7 days.
Make sure to tag me @whiskmefree on Instagram and leave a review below if you followed this recipe for vegan cinnamon rolls. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card or on any of the photos above. Happy baking!
Recipe for vegan cinnamon rolls
Recipe For Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
- Baking tray
- 1 tablespoon Yeast
- 170 ml Plant-based milk (warm)
- 2 tablespoon Caster sugar
- 4 tablespoon Vegetable/Sunflower Oil
- 290 g Plain flour (+ extra 5 tbsp)
- 100 g Caster Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 70 g Vegan butter
- 50 g Light Brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 50 g Icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon Plant-based milk
- Begin by, pouring the plant-based milk into a bowl, along with your sugar. Then sprinkle on your yeast and set that aside for 10 mins.1 tablespoon Yeast, 170 ml Plant-based milk, 2 tablespoon Caster sugar
- In the meantime, mix together your dry ingredients in a large bowl. And prepare your tin, by greasing it with some plant based butter or flavorless oil.290 g Plain flour, 100 g Caster Sugar, 1 teaspoon Baking powder, ½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- Then add the oil to the milk, stir and pour into your dry ingredients. Mix until it comes together into a sticky ball. Cover with a kitchen towel or cling film/plastic wrap. And prove for just an hour.4 tablespoon Vegetable/Sunflower Oil
- Once proved add the remaining flour. Then roll the dough in between 2 sheets of cling film/plastic wrap. [This will prevent the dough from sticking from the table]. Roll the dough until it is approx 0.5cm in thickness.
- Make the cinnamon roll filling by creaming together the vegan butter, sugar and cinnamon.70 g Vegan butter, 50 g Light Brown sugar, 1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- Spread on the cinnamon filling and slice the dough lengthways, and roll into individual buns. Place the cinnamon rolls on your baking tray and bake for 1hour, or until the rolls are golden in color and firm.
- This vegan cinnamon rolls icing, is just a simple combination of icing sugar and plant-based milk! Yes that’s all. Mix these 2 together to create a sweet slightly creamy drizzle to smoother all over your homemade dairy free cinnamon rolls.50 g Icing sugar, 1 tablespoon Plant-based milk
- Finally, peel away one of the buns from the tray and enjoy!
© Leena. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.