Carrot Cake for many is a favorite. But it can also be regarded as quiet unhealthy due to how addictive it can be. So I developed a healthy recipe for vegan carrot cake. Which tastes just like or some may say better than the real deal.
These healthy carrot cake cupcakes with cream cheese frosting are vegan and gluten free. To make these carrot cupcakes gluten free will be using both almond flour and gluten free flour.
If however, you suffer from a nut allergy you can simple replace the almond flour for plain gluten free flour - 200g
Traditionally there are walnuts in carrot cake, however this recipe is free from walnuts and raisins. Which i’m sure you can agree, that's a far more superior carrot cake already!
Expert Baking Tips for this easy carrot cake recipe
Although this recipe is super simple. Here are just a few expert tips i'd recommend:
- Ensure your milk is at room temperature before pouring it into the dry ingredients, this will help prevent any lumps and flour pockets from forming.
- Make sure to mix the milk and vinegar together prior to adding to the dry ingredients and let it sit for 5-10mins to slightly curdle. This will act as your vegan buttermilk
- I like to use caster sugar in my cakes which is just a very refined sugar. So if you can't find caster sugar I’d recommend using very refined granulated sugar.
Master the art of baking GF, DF & Vegan
Baking Free From 101
Another brilliant thing about these cupcakes is that they have no refined sugar and are keto friendly. They're also topped with a sugar free cream cheese frosting!
Recipe for sugar free cream cheese frosting
This frosting is super simple to make, you just need to beat together the vegan cream cheese and Erythritol sugar together until fluffy. Then dollop and spread it onto your vegan carrot cupcakes for a rustic look or pipe it on top, do whatever you fancy.
Here's everything I used for this recipe for vegan carrot cake
This recipe features NKD Living’s Erythritol Sugar and Erythritol Icing Sugar which is completely sugar free and keto friendly.
It's perfect for ketogenic diets and people wanting to reduce their sugar intake and can be used in all types of bakes.
How many carrots in carrot cake ?
For this recipe I only used 1 large carrot which weighed 180g however, you may also find 2 small carrots weigh the same therefore, make sure you go by the measurement of carrot rather than the number.
How long to bake carrot cake cupcakes ?
You’ll need to bake these carrot cake cupcakes for at least 20-25 mins. However, to tell there are baked, once a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the center and that the sponge springs back which you touch it.
What frosting goes well with carrot cake ?
For these easy vegan carrot cake cupcakes will be topping it with an easy healthy cream cheese frosting.
Make sure to tag me @whiskmefree on Instagram and leave a review below if you follow this easy carrot cupcakes recipe. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card or on any of the photos above. Happy baking!
Other carrot cake recipes
If you're looking for a layered gluten free carrot cake recipe this is my ultimate recipe I'd highly recommend trying - The BEST Gluten Free Carrot Cake You’ll Ever Make – FACT
Or a quick single layer carrot cake - An Easy Carrot Cake Recipe – Gluten Free and Vegan
The vegan carrot cake cupcakes recipe
Vegan Gluten Free Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- Muffin/Cupcake Tin
- Mixing bowl and whisk
- 100 g Almond Flour
- 100 g Gluten Free Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon All Spice
- 150 g Erythritol Sugar
- 100 g Aquafaba
- 100 g Grated Carrots
- 40 g Olive Oil
- 50 g Plant based milk
- 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 150 g Vegan cream cheese
- 200 g Erythritol Icing Sugar
- Start by combining the milk and vinegar together in a jug and set aside this will be the 'buttermilk'.50 g Plant based milk, 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- In a separate bowl add all the dry ingredients to a bowl, whisking together to get rid of any lumps.100 g Almond Flour, 100 g Gluten Free Flour, 1 teaspoon Baking Powder, 1 teaspoon Xanthan gum, ½ teaspoon All Spice, 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- Whip the aquafaba and sugar together using an electric whisk until fluffy and doubled in size in a seperate bowl.150 g Erythritol Sugar, 100 g Aquafaba
- Then add the dry and wet mix altnativily into the aquafaba until just combined then fold in the grated carrots.100 g Grated Carrots, 40 g Olive Oil
- Transfer to muffin tin lined with muffin/cupcake liners filling each one to the top. And bake for 20-25 mins, they should be springy to the touch and a skewer should come out clean when inserted.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- As the cupcakes cool, begin making the frosting by creaming the cream cheese and icing sugar together until fluffy.150 g Vegan cream cheese, 200 g Erythritol Icing Sugar
- Spread onto the cupcakes using a spoon or offset spatula for a rustic look or pipe onto the cupcakes, enjoy!
Did you follow this gluten free sugar free carrot cake recipe, what were your thoughts. If you have any recommendations of other recipes you’d like to see. Say a vegan carrot cake bread then let me know in the comments 🙂
© Leena. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.
Thrive with Mariya says
I love carrot cupcakes! This looks like a healthier version which I would love to enjoy with my afternoon tea. Thank you for sharing this great idea 🙂
Thank you, and yes this is I'm sure you'll love it
I love it!! 😍😍
Thank you <3