This recipe for lava cake is a classic dessert that combines a rich and gooey chocolate center with a light and fluffy cake exterior. A lava cake chocolate that is both indulgent and comforting, and is perfect for any occasion. But what if you could have all the indulgence of a chocolate lava cake in just a matter of minutes? With a microwave chocolate lava cake, you can!
This microwavable version of the classic chocolate lava cake is easy to make and requires only a few simple ingredients. The microwavable lava cake batter is made from a mixture of cocoa powder, oil, sugar, plant based milk, and flour. It’s then poured into a microwave-safe mug or ramekin, microwaved for just a few minutes, and voila! You have a decadent and indulgent chocolate lava cake in minutes.
One of the great things about this recipe for chocolate molten lava cake is that it’s quick and convenient. With just a few simple ingredients, you can have a delicious dessert in no time. This chocolate molten lava cake makes it a great option for those who are short on time, or for those who simply want an indulgent dessert without all the fuss.
Additionally, this recipes chocolate lava cake is a great option for those who are looking to use up ingredients they already have on hand. The ingredients used in this dessert are pantry staples that are easily accessible, so there’s no need to go out and buy special ingredients.
- Instructions - How to make a chocolate lava cake
- Baking Free From 101
- Trending Posts
- The Best Cinnamon Rolls
- Simple Recipe For Banana Bread
- Easy No Eggs Chocolate Cake - Raspberry Chocolate Ganache Cake
- Simple 2 Ingredient Ganache With Milk Chocolate Recipe
When it comes to preparing this microwavable chocolate lava cake, it’s important to use high-quality chocolate spread. The chocolate is the star of making this vegan chocolate cake moist, a cheap chocolate spread when microwaved while a good quality spread will soften and ooze out. So using good quality chocolate spread will make all the difference in the final product.
- Gluten Free flour - This can either be gluten free plain or self-raising flour. If you don’t want to make this gluten free - look at my substitutes list below.
- Oil – Preferably a flavorless oil like vegetable or sunflower oil.
- Caster sugar – I like to use caster sugar in my cakes which is just very refined sugar. So if you can’t find caster sugar I’d recommend using refined or normal granulated sugar.
- Plant based milk - I recommend soy, oat or almond milk.
- Chocolate spread - This helps create the gooey filling.
- Ice Cream - I used plant based double cream to make this dairy free
See recipe card for quantities.
Instructions - How to make a chocolate lava cake
How to make chocolate lava cake without oven
One of the secrets to a perfect lava cake microwave is to not overcook it. Microwave cooking times can vary, so it’s important to keep an eye on the cake and remove it from the microwave as soon as it is set, but still slightly wobbly in the center. Overcooking the cake will result in a cake that is dry and not gooey.
- Start by whisking all the dry ingredients in a bowl until combined.
- Next pout in the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Divide the batter into ramekins. Then spoon ½ tablespoon of chocolate spoon into the batter and bake in the microwave for 2 mins.
4. Using a knife to loosen the cake from the ramekin then tip it upside down onto a plate.
5. Finally serve with ice cream and vegan caramel (optional) and enjoy!
When it comes to serving this vegan chocolate cake simple, there are a few options to consider. You can serve it warm straight from the microwave, or you can let it cool to room temperature and enjoy it as is. If you’re feeling extra indulgent, you can even top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
If you’d prefer not to make this easy recipe for chocolate molten lava cake vegan or gluten free, simply substitute the ingredients that correlate to your needs to make this recipe for lava cake suitable for your diet.
- Gluten free - If you’d prefer not to make this vegan chocolate lava cake recipe gluten free simply substitute the gluten-free flour for normal plain flour.
- Ice Cream - Simply substitute the plant based ice cream for ordinary ice cream if you’d prefer not to make this dairy free/vegan.
Even if you don’t follow a specific diet (eg. gluten free), you may have friends or family that could use this.
Simple ways you can change this lava cake recipe in a mug to better suit your dinner guests:
One of things that makes this the best molten lava cake is how versatile it is. You can enjoy it as is, or add your favorite toppings, such as fresh berries, whipped cream, or even a sprinkle of chopped nuts.
You can also use different fillings for the lava filling like using biscoff spread in place of chocolate spread!
It’s perfect for serving at dinner parties, as a comforting chocolate lava cake ice cream after a long day, or as a sweet treat to enjoy with your morning coffee or tea.
Additionally, it’s important to use a microwave-safe mug or ramekin that is the right size. A mug or ramekin that is too large will result in a cake that is too shallow, while a mug or ramekin that is too small will result in a cake that overflows and makes a mess in the microwave.
For this recipe you’ll need some ramekins, these are the ones I use which I greased and floured to prevent it sticking to the dish.
Storing and freezing chocolate lava cake easy
HOW LONG DOES vegan chocolate lava cake LAST?
This will stay good at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Master the art of baking GF, DF & Vegan
Baking Free From 101
Make sure to tag me @whiskmefree on Instagram and leave a review below if you followed this recipe for lava cake. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card or on any of the photos above. Happy baking!
Microwave Lava Cake
- 6 tablespoon Oil
- 75 g Caster sugar
- 6 tablespoon Plant based milk
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 88 g Gluten Free flour
- 20 g Cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tablespoon Chocolate Spread
- Plant Based Ice cream
- Begin by greasing your ramekins and dusting them with sugar/cocoa powder to prevent the cake sticking to the ramekin
- Start by whisking all the dry ingredients in a bowl until combined.75 g Caster sugar, ¼ teaspoon Baking Powder, 88 g Gluten Free flour, 20 g Cocoa powder
- Next pout in the wet ingredients and mix until combined.6 tablespoon Oil, 6 tablespoon Plant based milk
- Divide the batter into ramekins. Then spoon ½ tablespoon of chocolate spoon into the batter and bake in the microwave for 2 mins.1 ½ tablespoon Chocolate Spread
- Using a knife to loosen the cake from the ramekin then tip it upside down onto a plate.
- Finally serve with ice cream and vegan caramel (optional) and enjoy!Plant Based Ice cream
© Leena. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.
Literally Laurie says
Now this is something that looks worth making for treat! Thanks for sharing this recipe!
Fransic verso says
Wow, this look so good and I can see the chocolate lava going down haha. I would love to try it.
Nicolle Spohn says
This is so delicious, its my new go-to and so quick!!! Thanks so much for sharing 😉
Just made it! It’s gluten free and plant based… plus it’s just two minutes… it was delicious,the perfect combination for me☺️