This is the best recipe for breakfast pancakes. These hot chocolate pancakes are the perfect treat to welcome in the colder seasons. This recipe makes soft, rich chocolate pancakes drizzled with a decadent chocolate drip and a milk icing . And finally decorated with marshmallows. Delicious.
If you ever wanted to enjoy hot chocolate in pancake form for breakfast then this recipe is exactly what you needed.
And with the addition of yogurt in the batter is what makes these pancakes vegan!
For this pancakes mix recipe I will be going through how to make pancakes homemade and answering your FAQs such as ‘’can you make this into a recipe for protein pancakes” ‘can pancakes be made with self-raising flour’ ‘how to make pancakes fluffy’ and so much more.
This recipes for vegan pancakes makes the softest, decadent gluten-free pancakes that’s completely eggless, nut free and dairy free!
A really great thing about this recipe for pancakes without eggs is that it's vegan and gluten free!
Another great thing about these hot chocolate pancakes is how customisable you can make it. For example, you can make these into the perfect pre workout snack by making these into protein banana pancakes or you can make it super chocolate chip pancake without any of the other additions.
I’ll also be sharing some more flavor variations and mix in’s below. And would highly recommend you check that part of this post out!
These easy quick recipe for pancakes require less than 15 to come together from start to finish!
Expert Baking Tips on how to make this the best recipe for pancakes
Although pancakes vegan recipe is super simple to make, here are just a few expert tips I'd recommend:
- Make sure your dry ingredients are fully mixed in before pouring in the wet ingredients to prevent any lumps from forming.
- When making the milk icing, add a little bit of the liquid at a time to gauge the consistency before adding too much.
- For the chocolate drip, you can either use a runny chocolate spread or make a ganache. By combining equal parts chocolate and plant based milk, double cream or coconut cream.
Master the art of baking GF, DF & Vegan
Baking Free From 101
How to make pancakes without an egg
Here's everything I used to make these vegan chocolate pancakes
Vegan butter- You can use either vegan block butter or margarine or oil to grease your pan to prevent your pancakes from sticking.
- Plant-based milk - This can be oat, soya or almond milk
- Sugar - Caster or refined granulated sugar works best here.
- Plain flour - If you're not following a gluten free diet you may use normal plain flour instead
- Plant-based Yogurt - This is our egg substitute. NOTE if you can't get your hands on any, pureed banana or apple (40g) will also work well here.
- Pancakes recipe for one - Step by step instructions
Flavor Variations and Mixins - recipes for eggless pancakes
Because the best thing about this recipe for breakfast pancakes is how customisable they are! You can really add whatever you like to them, to make them either a nutritious breakfast or indulgent dessert.
If you'd prefer to make these pancakes slightly more adventurous. Instead of chocolate pancakes you can make these into classic blueberry pancakes. These can be fresh or frozen. Check out my post here on exactly how I made it.
Or perhaps a slightly more fun cinnamon roll pancakes. Like these hot chocolate pancakes, these are the perfect cozy pancakes to enjoy this winter. Sweet, cinnamon swirl pancakes are the combination of a classic cinnamon roll and a classic fluffy pancake. Perfection.
For a less adventurous, plain chocolate pancake, simply remove any additions to the batter - following the same recipe. Just without making the chocolate drip and milk icing. And with your plain pancakes you can add whatever topping and syrups you fancy.
From honey, chocolate or strawberry syrups. And toppings like fresh fruit, nuts or some chocolate chips!
Banana pancakes vegan
Recipe for healthy pancakes - If you’d prefer to make this more nutritious you can substitute the yogurt for bananas and remove the sugar.
White chocolate pancakes
For a slightly sweeter pancake, you can make these pancakes using white chocolate by adding melted white chocolate into the batter in place of chocolate spread!
Let me know in the comments if you try these variations or if you came up with your own!
FAQs - Recipe for breakfast pancakes.
Can you make these into eggless pancakes with wheat flour ?
Yes, you can make these pancakes with regular wheat flour, plain flour or gluten free flour.
How to make pancakes thick ?
For thick pancakes make sure you to dollop a large scoop of batter onto your pan. There’s also no need to spread it/flatten into onto the pan either
Can you make pancakes using self-rising flour ?
Yes, this will help make the pancakes nice and fluffy, however you won’t need to add the additional teaspoon of baking powder as self raising flour already includes it 🙂
Storing and freezing - Recipe for breakfast pancakes
How long do pancakes last ?
They stay good at room-temperature for up to 2 days, in the fridge for up to a week, and in the freezer for up to 2 months if stored in an airtight container.
Make sure to tag me@whiskmefree on Instagram and leave a review below if you followed this recipe for breakfast pancakes. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card or on any of the photos above. Happy baking!
Hot Chocolate Pancakes
- ¾ cup Plant based milk
- ½ cup + 2tbsp Gluten Free flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 2 tablespoon Sugar
- ¼ cup Plant based Yogurt
- 2 tablespoon Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- 56 g Vegan Chocolate
- Handful Marshmallows
- ½ cup Icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon Plant based Milk
- Begin by mixing the flour, cocoa powder, sugar and baking powder until combined.
- Create a dip/well in the dry ingredients and pour in the plant based milk, chocolate hazelnut spread and plant based yogurt. Whisk until smooth.
- Set the batter aside while you grease a pan to cook the pancakes.
- Pour approx ½ cup of batter onto your prepared pan and cook until it begins to bubble. Then flip and cook for a further 2 mins.
- Make the milk icing by combing the icing sugar and milk together until smooth. Drizzle across the top of the pancake stack.
- Next drizzle on some melted chocolate. Finish it off with a sprinkle of marshmallows.
© Leena. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.