These are the best peanut butter and jelly rolls. They’re the perfect comfort food to welcome in the colder seasons. These easy to make cinnamon rolls are soft, fluffy, brioche-like rolls, filled with a sweet, strawberry jam and a crunchy peanut butter filling. And finally smothered with the simplest 2 ingredient glaze.
For these peanut butter and jam rolls, I will be going through how to make these cinnamon rolls step by step and answering your FAQs such as ‘can cinnamon rolls rise overnight’ ‘can you make cinnamon rolls without eggs’ ‘what pastry is used for cinnamon rolls’ and so much more.
These easy homemade cinnamon rolls are the softest, most flavourful cinnamon rolls that are completely eggless, nut free and dairy free!
Another great thing about this peanut butter and jelly cinnamon rolls recipe is how customisable you can make it. For example, you can make these into a strawberry crumble cinnamon roll recipe or keep it to a traditional cinnamon roll without any of the additions.
I’ll also be sharing some more flavor variations and mix in’s below. And would highly recommend you check that part of this post out!
This easy recipe for vegan cinnamon rolls doesn’t require a whole day to prove but less than 3 hours to come together from start to finish!
Expert Baking Tips on how to make pumpkin spice roll
Although this peanut butter and jam rolls recipe are super simple to make, here are just a few expert tips I'd recommend:
- To prevent the dough from sticking to your countertop and creating a mess with flour you can simply roll the dough in between 2 sheets of cling film.
- Roll the dough out until it reaches approx 0.5 cm in width
- Make sure to knead the dough for at least 10 minutes- the dough should be soft and spring back when touched
Master the art of baking GF, DF & Vegan
Baking Free From 101
How make cinnamon rolls
Ingredients for cinnamon rolls
Here's everything I used to make these cinnamon rolls without egg
Vegan butter- You can use either vegan block butter or margarine.
Plant-based milk - This can be oat, soya or almond milk.
Sugar- I like to use caster sugar which is just a very refined sugar, but if you don't have any refined granulated sugar will work well here.
Plain flour - Regular plain flour is needed to create the soft dough, a gluten free flour will create a crumbly dough that won’t be nearly as fluffy as the one using plain flour.
Cinnamon rolls how to make - Step by step instructions
Begin by mixing together the warm milk, melted butter and sugar. Then sprinkle the yeast on top and allow it to bloom for 5 minutes.
In a separate bowl combine all the dry ingredients. Then stir gently in the milk mixture and pumpkin puree into the dry ingredients until fully combined.
On a floured surface knead the dough for 10 mins until the dough springs back when touched.
Cover the dough in a bowl with cling film or a tea towel to prove for an hour.
Once proved, roll out the dough on a floured surface into a large rectangle, approx 0.5cm in thickness.
The peanut butter and jelly rolls filling
Simply spread the jam evenly across the entire surface and then do the same with the peanut butter spreading it directly on top of the jam layer.
Slice the dough into strips and roll each individually. (Refer to video tutorial above)
Transfer to a greased baking tray and bake for 25-35 mins. The rolls should be slightly firm and golden brown.
Allow the buns to cool down before drizzling on the glaze.
The icing recipe for cinnamon rolls
Simply cream together the icing sugar and plant based butter until creamy then spread over the rolls.
Enjoy with your favorite warm beverage.
Flavour Variations and Mixins for cinnamon rolls recipe vegan
Traditional cinnamon roll
You can use this recipe to make a traditional cinnamon roll - soft, fluffy dough encasing a sweet, buttery, cinnamon roll filling. Just simply remove the peanut butter and jam from the recipe.
This is my ultimate fall cinnamon rolls recipe. Instead of spreading the PB and J onto the dough simply spread on to the sweet cinnamon spread onto the dough and sprinkle on some chopped apples. And top it off with a simple 3 ingredient crumble topping.
Pumpkin Spice rolls
These are the perfect treat to welcome in the colder seasons. The pumpkin puree creates soft, fluffy, brioche-like rolls, filled with a sweet, cinnamon slightly spiced pumpkin filling. Here is the recipe.
Let me know in the comments if you try these variations or if you came up with your own!
What's the difference between cinnamon rolls and cinnamon buns ?
The simple difference is that cinnamon buns contain nuts and cinnamon rolls do not!
Can cinnamon rolls rise overnight ?
Yes, you can allow the dough to rise overnight if you’d prefer to make these dough ahead of time. Just make sure to prove them in a warm area. Not too cold or hot.
What jam goes best with peanut butter ?
I used strawberry jam for these rolls, but you can really use any jam you like. I think some good recommendations could be blackberry or raspberry jam. Let me know which jam flavor you choose in the comments. I'd love to know.
Jam or peanut butter first ?
For these rolls I found it easiest to spread the jam over the peanut butter, but honestly as long as they are both spread onto the dough it doesn't really matter the order you put it on.
Storing and freezing
How long do cinnamon rolls last ?
They stay good at room-temperature for up to 2 days, in the fridge for up to a week, and in the freezer for up to 2 months if stored in an airtight container.
Let me know if you made these peanut butter and jelly rolls
Peanut butter and jelly rolls
Peanut butter and jam rolls
- 500 g Plain Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- 85 g Dairy Free Butter
- 100 g Sugar
- 360 g Plant-based Milk
- 2 teaspoon Yeast
- 60 g Pumpkin/Apple/Banana puree
- 3 tablespoon Peanut butter
- 3 tablespoon Strawberry Jam
- 50 g Dairy Free Butter
- 25 g Vegan cream cheese
- 200 g Icing sugar
- Begin by mixing together the warm milk, melted butter and sugar. Then sprinkle the yeast ontop and allow it to bloom for 5 miniutes.85 g Dairy Free Butter, 360 g Plant-based Milk, 100 g Sugar
- In a separate bowl combine all the dry ingredients500 g Plain Flour, 1 teaspoon Baking powder, 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda, 2 teaspoon Yeast
- Then stir gently in the milk mixture and puree into the dry ingredients until fully combined.60 g Pumpkin/Apple/Banana puree
- On a floured surface knead the dough for 10mins until the dough springs back when touched.
- Cover the dough in a bowl with cling film or tea towel to prove for an hour.
- Once proved roll out the dough on a floured surface into a large rectangle, approx 0.5cm in thickness.
- spread the peanut butter then jam onto the dough.3 tablespoon Peanut butter, 3 tablespoon Strawberry Jam
- Transfer to a greased baking tray and bake for 25-35 mins. The rolls should be slightly firm and golden brown.
- Allow the buns to cool down before drizzling on the glaze. To make this Simply mix together the icing sugar, butter and cream cheese and spread over the rolls. Then enjoy!50 g Dairy Free Butter, 25 g Vegan cream cheese, 200 g Icing sugar
© Leena. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.