This no eggs chocolate cake recipe is the perfect balance between sweet, and tangy. Tangy berry buttercream sandwiched between moist, decadent chocolate cake sponge layers and smothered in raspberry ganache and coated in chocolate ganache. Delicious.
This recipe for raspberry cake is the perfect centerpiece for any occasion. And the perfect dessert for everyone to enjoy, this cake is completely vegan and gluten free!
This chocolate cake easy recipe, requires just 10 everyday pantry ingredients!
This chocolate cake raspberry recipe was inspired by my ultimate chocolate Bundt cake that's insanely light and moist, however, requires apple puree/sauce which I understand is not something everyone can get their hands on, which is why I developed this recipe which is perfect for layered cakes.
In this chocolate layered cake recipe I will be going through how to make eggless chocolate cake and answering your FAQs such as ‘how to make a chocolate cake filling’ ‘best glaze for chocolate cake’ ‘how long does moist chocolate cake recipes with oil last’ and so much more.
A really great thing about this chocolate raspberry cake ganache recipe is how versatile it is. Which is what makes this the best vegan chocolate cake. For example, you can make this into an eggless chocolate fudge cake without the berry buttercream but chocolate buttercream instead. Or you can change the flavour of the chocolate sponge completely to an orange or mint chocolate cake instead!
I’ll also be sharing some more flavor variations and mix in’s below. And would highly recommend you check that part of this post out!
If you’re looking for more chocolate recipes to add to your baking list check out my vegan gluten free chocolate fudge cake and Chocolate Cupcakes
- Ingredients for this moist chocolate raspberry cake
- Instructions For Making Chocolate Cake
- How Make Chocolate Cake
- Variations - Vegan Chocolate Cake Simple
- Top tip for this no eggs chocolate cake
- Baking Free From 101
- Trending Posts
- The Best Cinnamon Rolls
- Simple Recipe For Banana Bread
- Simple 2 Ingredient Ganache With Milk Chocolate Recipe
- The Best Berry Buttercream For Cake Filling
Ingredients for this moist chocolate raspberry cake
- Raspberries - these can be frozen or fresh.
- Sugar – I like to use caster sugar in my cakes which is just very refined sugar. So if you can’t find caster sugar I’d recommend using refined or normal granulated sugar.
- Cocoa powder - use a dark cocoa powder for a better chocolate flavor, never hot cocoa powder.
- Coffee - this helps to enhance the chocolate flavor - you can’t taste any of the coffee!
- Oil- flavorless oil is best like vegetable, rapeseed or sunflower oil
- Gluten free flour - this can be plain or self raising flour, if however, you’d prefer not to make this cake gluten free then check out my substitutes list below 🙂
- Baking powder and bicarbonate of soda - Raising agents
- Plant based milk - you can use soya, almond, coconut or pea milk
- Vinegar - this reacts with the bicarbonate of soda/baking soda to make the cakes rise
See recipe card for quantities.
Instructions For Making Chocolate Cake
How Make Chocolate Cake
Make a chocolate cake from scratch
Decorating this two layered chocolate cake
1. As the cakes cool make the buttercream, following my guide here.
2. Then spread the buttercream on top of one of the chocolate cake layer and sandwich with the other cake.
3. Coat the entire cake in buttercream then place the cake in the freezer to harden the buttercream so we can glaze the cake in ganache .
4. Make the ganache following this guide.
5. Pour the ganache over the entire cake, under a baking tray lined with grease proof paper and wired wrack to catch the drippings.
6. Finally decorate the cake with raspberries, allow the ganache to set for around 10-30minutes then slice and enjoy!
If you’d prefer not to make this chocolate raspberry cake with ganache specific to any dietary requirement, simply substitute the ingredients that correlate to your needs to make this no eggs chocolate cake recipe suitable for your diet.
- Vegan - if you’d prefer not to make this cake vegan/dairy free simply substitute the plant based milk for whole milk and the vegan chocolate for ordinary chocolate
- Gluten free - If you’d prefer not to make this chocolate raspberry cake gluten free simply substitute the gluten free flour for ordinary plain or self raising flour.
Even if you don’t follow a specific diet (eg. Vegan diet ), you may have friends or family that could use this.
Variations - Vegan Chocolate Cake Simple
Simple ways you can change this recipe to better suit your dinner guests:
Fillings for chocolate cake ideas:
Feeling a bit adventurous? Why not try chocolate and blueberries, instead of the berry compote in the buttercream, why not try this blueberry jam.
Don’t have any raspberries?
Then I’d recommend substituting it for strawberries. You can also use either frozen/fresh strawberries for the compote instead.
Prefer just a classic chocolate cake?
Then all you need is this classic chocolate Bundt cake.
Let me know in the comments if you try these variations or if you came up with your own!
For this recipe you’ll need a couple of 6 inch cake tins, these are the ones I use [link] and I use it all the time.
Storing and freezing vegan chocolate cake
How long does vegan layered cake last?
This cake should be kept at room temperature for up to 2days but can be frozen for up to a month prior to icing and stored in an airtight container.
Top tip for this no eggs chocolate cake
Although this chocolate cake vegetarian recipe is super simple to make, here are just a few expert tips I'd recommend:
Make sure to properly grease and flour your tins before pouring in the batter to ensure your cakes don’t stick. Check out my guide here.
Master the art of baking GF, DF & Vegan
Baking Free From 101
Make sure to tag me @whiskmefree on Instagram and leave a review below if you followed this no eggs chocolate cake recipe. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card or on any of the photos above. Happy baking!
Chocolate Raspberry Layered Cake
- 2 6" cake tin
- 75 ml Oil
- 236 ml Plant based milk
- 1 ½ teaspoon Apple cider Vinegar
- 280 g Gluten free plain flour
- 100 g Sugar
- 150 g Brown sugar
- 60 g Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 160 ml Brewed coffee
- Preheat your oven to 180°/365°F and grease and flour your cake tins and set aside.
- Begin by whisking all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.280 g Gluten free plain flour, 100 g Sugar, 150 g Brown sugar, 60 g Cocoa Powder, 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- In a seperate bowl mix the milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside for 5-10mins (this will be our buttermilk)236 ml Plant based milk, 1 ½ teaspoon Apple cider Vinegar
- Add the brewed coffee, oil and milk to the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated.75 ml Oil, 160 ml Brewed coffee
- Pour into your prepared cake tins and bake for 25-35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean
- As the cakes cool make the buttercream, following my guide here.
- Then spread the buttercream on top of one of the cake layers and sandwich with the other cake.
- Coat the entire cake in buttercream then place the cake in the freezer to harden the buttercream so we can glaze the cake in ganache .
- Make the ganache following this guide.
- Pour the ganache over the entire cake, under a baking tray lined with grease proof paper and wired wrack to catch the drippings.
- Finally decorate the cake with raspberries, allow the ganache to set for around 10-30minutes then slice and enjoy!Raspberries
© Leena. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.
That looks absolutely delicious!! And that's the perfect cake for me... gluten and dairy-free. I'll try it soon 😉
Love this recipe! So tasty and easy to follow. Great use of images too!
Kirsten Smith says
Tiffany Harrison says
Delicious! I made this for a friends party and I when I tell you, they were Impressed! This cake went down a treat
Fransic verso says
This cake looks so yummy and love how easy. Also, I have some friends who allergic to eggs. So, this would be good options.