The best microwave chocolate cakes.
Welcome to my microwave series where I turn classic desserts into delicious, super quick and easy recipes from brownies, cakes, tray bakes and more. That you would never have imagined were made in the microwave!
Perfect for when you’re short on time or just craving something sweet. Not to mention with the cost of living crisis at an all time high, turning your oven on can be quite pricey. So these recipes are the perfect alternative for a quick dessert made at a fraction of the time.
Microwave chocolate cake
Today, I’m going to share with you how to make this microwave chocolate cakes, I think I might just blow you away with how incredible this recipe is. This recipe for microwave cake makes the most decadent chocolate cake and it was made in the microwave!!!
The microwave cake sponge is so rich and decadent and smothered in a glossy chocolate ganache. Oh.. and it’s made in LESS THAN 10mins!
If you’d prefer to make this cake bigger - like a loaf cake - simply double this recipe and use a heatproof, glass/ceramic dish to bake it in.
This 10 minute cake recipe is also dairy and gluten free. If you'd prefer not to make it dairy and gluten free then check out my substitutes list so you can make this suitable for all dietary requirements.
In this recipe for microwave a cake I will be going through how to make this recipe for microwave chocolate cake and answering your FAQs such as ‘how to make sure my microwave cake is baked’ ‘what should I bake this cake in’ ‘how long does microwave cake last’ and so much more.
A really great thing about this microwave cake recipe chocolate is how versatile it is. Which is what makes this microwave cake in a mug best. For example, you can make this into a classic chocolate and orange cake, or a chocolate and caramel cake using my super simple 3 ingredient caramel recipe !
I’ll also be sharing some more flavor variations and mix in’s below. And would highly recommend you check that part of this post out!
- Microwave chocolate cake
- Top tip - Microwave cake baking
- Baking Free From 101
- Microwave chocolate cakes
- Trending Posts
- The Easiest 2 Ingredient Pain au chocolat And It's Vegan!
- The Easiest Quick 5 Ingredient Vegan Tarte Tatin
- Super Easy Creme Brulee Blondies - And It's Vegan!
- Biscoff Cream Cake: A Quick and Easy Vegan Dessert
- Gluten Free flour - This can either be gluten free plain or self-raising flour. If you don’t want to make this gluten free - look at my substitutes list below.
- Dairy Free Butter – This can be in spread or block form.
- Caster sugar – I like to use caster sugar in my cakes which is just very refined sugar. So if you can’t find caster sugar I’d recommend using refined or normal granulated sugar.
- Dairy free chocolate - this can be a bar chopped or chocolate chips
- See recipe card for quantities.
- Begin by lining your heat proof dish with greaseproof/parchment paper.
- Next melt the butter for 30 secs then add the cocoa powder and sugar and mix until combined.
- Mix in the egg, then fold in the flour and chocolate chips.
4. Pour into your prepared dish and bake for 4 mins in the microwave, making sure to stop it every minute to prevent it from overflowing.
5. Allow it cool for 5 mins. In the meantime, combine the chocolate and milk and microwave for 30second intervals until melted and mix until smooth.
Pour over the slightly cooled chocolate cake.
Then slice and enjoy!
If you’d prefer not to make this microwave chocolate cakes specific to a dietary requirement or two, simply substitute the ingredients that correlate to your needs to make this microwave cake mug cake suitable for your diet.
- Gluten free - If you’d prefer not to make this gluten-free simply substitute the gluten-free flour for normal plain flour.
- Dairy free - If you’d prefer not to make this dairy free simply substitute the dairy free butter for ordinary butter, specifically block butter
- Microwave chocolate cake no egg - If you’d prefer to make this into a microwave eggless chocolate cake simply substitute the eggs for apple puree (120g)
Even if you don’t follow a specific diet (eg. gluten free), you may have friends or family that could use this.
Simple ways you can change this recipe to better suit your dinner guests:
Double chocolate microwave cake
Simply add a combination of dark and white chocolate
Don’t won’t this recipe?
Looking for a good super quick brownies recipe - check out these brownies - they’re made in 5 minutes!
Or my super microwave fluffy lemon drizzle cake. I think I might just blow you away with how incredible this recipe is. This lemon cake sponge might be the softest, fluffiest cake I have EVER made.
Let me know in the comments if you try these variations or if you came up with your own!
Equipment can have a big impact on how a recipe turns out. Stone bakeware takes longer to heat up than metal pans, and also retains heat for longer, which could make the recipe more watery, or burnt on the outsides.
For this recipe you’ll need a heat proof glass/ceramic dish, this is the one I use [link] and I use it all the time, which I line with greaseproof/parchment paper so you can easily remove it from the dish.
Storing and freezing cake
How long does microwave cake last?
This will stay good at room temperature for up to 5 days, and in the freezer for up to 2 months if stored in an airtight container.
Top tip - Microwave cake baking
Although this microwave cake mug recipe is super simple to make, here are just a few expert tips I'd recommend:
Don’t fill your baking dish too much/high as this cake does rise! And may overflow out of your dish if filled to the top.
Make sure to stop the microwave every 3 minutes to prevent the cake from overflowing, even if you haven’t filled your baking dish to the top it may still overflow, if left to bake in the microwave for too long.
Allow the small dairy free chocolate cake to cool for at least 20 mins before adding the ganache, so it maintains its shape and remains thick, as adding it to a hot cake will make the ganache more runny.
Master the art of baking GF, DF & Vegan
Baking Free From 101
Make sure to tag me @whiskmefree on Instagram and leave a review below if you follow this recipe for microwave chocolate cakes. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card or on any of the photos above. Happy baking!
Microwave chocolate cakes
- Heat proof dish
- 100 g Caster sugar
- 100 g Dairy free butter
- 25 g Gluten free flour
- 20 g Cocoa Powder
- 40 g Chocolate chips
- 1 Egg
- 50 g Dairy free chocolate
- 50 g Plant based milk
- Begin by lining your heat proof dish with greaseproof/parchment paper.
- Next melt the butter for 30 secs then add the cocoa powder and sugar and mix until combined.100 g Caster sugar, 100 g Dairy free butter, 20 g Cocoa Powder
- Mix in the egg, then fold in the flour and chocolate chips.25 g Gluten free flour, 40 g Chocolate chips, 1 Egg
- Pour into your prepared dish and bake for 4 mins in the microwave, making sure to stop it every minute to prevent it from overflowing.
- Allow it cool for 5 mins. In the meantime, combine the chocolate and milk and microwave for 30second intervals until melted and mix until smooth.50 g Dairy free chocolate, 50 g Plant based milk
- Pour over the slightly cooled chocolate cake, then slice and enjoy!
© Leena. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.