These gluten free vegan strawberry cupcakes are so light and fluffy! And they’re topped with the fluffiest vegan strawberry buttercream.
Why you’ll love these gluten free vegan strawberry cupcakes
- These easy vegan strawberry cupcakes can be made in less than 30 minutes!
- Strawberry cupcakes using strawberry extract - It doesn’t require any fresh strawberries but still has a delicious strawberry flavor.
- These easy vegan strawberry cupcakes are perfect for a breakfast, picnic, or tea party.
Expert Baking Tips for these easy moist strawberry cupcakes
Although the recipe for these easy vegan strawberry muffins is super simple, here are just a few expert tips i'd recommend:
- Make sure your milk is at room temperature before adding it to your dry ingredients, this will help prevent any lumps from forming.
- Separate your cupcake cases so there is a gap between each case, this will help evenly distribute the heat so the cupcakes rise better.
Master the art of baking GF, DF & Vegan
Baking Free From 101
Ingredients for strawberry cupcakes
For this strawberry vegan cupcake recipe you will need:
- Caster Sugar - This is just a very refined sugar if you can’t find it refined granulated sugar will work well here too.
- Xanthan gum - This will prevent the cupcakes from crumbling and act as a stabilizer.
- Apple sauce - This will add moisture to the cupcakes and create a soft spongy texture.
- Gluten-free self-raising flour - If you didn't want to make these gluten-free simply substitute this for normal self-raising flour. There’s no need to add xanthan gum if you're not making these gluten-free.
- Strawberry jam - this will be spiraled into the batter to add a sweet fresh strawberry flour to the sponge.
- Plant-based milk - I used MIGHTY whole milk for this recipe. It’s made from yellow split peas and British oats (with no concentrate) which require considerably fewer resources (land and water) than cow’s milk or nut milk. Making it more sustainable and great for the environment. Find out more here.
How to make vegan strawberry cupcakes
Step by step gluten free vegan strawberry cupcake recipe
Combine the milk and vinegar together to make the 'buttermilk' and set aside for 5 mins. In a separate bowl whisk together all the dry ingredients until fully combined.
Add the oil and strawberry extract to the 'buttermilk' then pour into the dry ingredients. And whisk until combined.
Then scoop the batter into your cupcake cases filling them to the top. The dollop little drops of jam and swirl it around with a toothpick. Bake for 30 mins. Once baked the cupcakes should be lightly golden and springy to the touch.
The best vegan strawberry frosting for cupcakes that goes beautifully with these vegan gf strawberry cupcakes is this classic vegan buttercream flavored with strawberry jam and colored a light baby pink color.
As a result, I have written a full guide to get it perfectly creamy and fluffy every time - best frosting for strawberry cupcakes
Then pipe the buttercream on the cooled cupcakes and decorate with a sliced strawberry. Enjoy!
If you don't want to make this recipe for strawberry cupcakes vegan simply substitute the plant-based milk for normal whole milk and the vegan butter for normal block butter at room temperature.
FAQs about strawberry cupcakes from scratch
How long are vegan cupcakes good for ?
These cupcakes keep well in a covered container at room temperature for 2 days or in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Will cupcakes go stale overnight ?
If these cupcakes are left overnight without being covered they will become slightly dry. After a couple of days of leaving out without being covered, it will become stale.
How long will strawberries last on cake ?
This depends on the use by/best before date on the box of strawberries you are using. This should be used as your guide.
Other flavor variations and how to decorate strawberry cupcakes?
Here are some examples of what frosting goes with strawberry cupcakes:
- Vegan vanilla cupcakes with strawberry frosting - decorated with a small strawberry on the side or white chocolate shavings.
- Strawberry cupcakes with lemon frosting - decorated with a lemon wedge.
Storing and freezing
How long does vegan cake last ?
Vegan cakes can last up to 4 days in the fridge but can last up to 2 months in the freezer if stored in an airtight container.
More vegan cupcake recipes
Make sure to tag me @whiskmefree on Instagram and leave a review below if you made these gluten free vegan strawberry cupcakes. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card or on any of the photos above. Happy baking!
Strawberry cupcakes gluten free recipe :
Easy Gluten Free Vegan Strawberry CupcakesPrint Pin Rate Add to Collection Go to Collections
- Muffin/Cupcake Tin
- 240 ml MIGHTY Whole Plant based milk
- 1 tablespoon Apple cider Vinegar
- 230 g Caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 210 g Gluten Free flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder (refer to notes)
- 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda (refer to notes)
- ¼ teaspoon Strawberry extract
- 60 ml Vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Strawberry Jam
- Dairy Free Strawberry Buttercream
- Preheat your oven to 180°c / 356°f and line your cupcake/muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- Combine the milk and vinegar together to make the 'buttermilk' and set aside for 5 mins.240 ml MIGHTY Whole Plant based milk, 1 tablespoon Apple cider Vinegar
- Whisk together all the dry ingredients until fully combined in a separate bowl.230 g Caster sugar, 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum, 210 g Gluten Free flour, 1 teaspoon Baking Powder, 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda
- Add the oil and strawberry extract to the 'buttermilk' then pour into the dry ingredients. And whisk until combined60 ml Vegetable oil, ¼ teaspoon Strawberry extract
- Scoop into your cupcake cases filling them to the top. The dollop little drops of jam and swirl it around with a toothpick. Bake for 30 mins. Once baked the cupcakes should be slightly golden and springy to the touch.1 tablespoon Strawberry Jam
- Pipe the buttercream on the cooled cupcakes and decorate with a sliced strawberry. Enjoy!Dairy Free Strawberry Buttercream
© Leena. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.