My vegan gluten free strawberry cake. Stunningly beautiful and ridiculously tasty? Get you a cake that can do both.
What's better than to create a strawberry cake from scratch! It’s moist, flavorful, and all homemade!
This moist vegan strawberry cake gets all of its flavour from fresh strawberries. There are no artificial colorings, flavors, or mixes and yet it’s packed full of delicious strawberry flavor. The cake is then smothered in a luscious vegan strawberry buttercream frosting and topped with more fresh strawberries and raspberries. It’s the perfect dessert for spring, summer or just everyday!
And the frosting…I could eat this by the spoonful. Rather than using strawberry jam, fresh strawberry puree is used to add flavor and color. To help create a perfect frosting that isn’t too dry or too thick.
Master the art of baking GF, DF & Vegan
Baking Free From 101
The vegan strawberry cake recipe
To make this easy vegan strawberry cake, combine the apple puree, plant based milk, veg oil and apple cider vinegar into a bowl - [including the strawberries and water which you want to heat on a hob until it purees into a liquid] - it’s ok if it has the seeds in it as this will add texture to the cake. (Leave a tablespoon of the sauce aside to use for the buttercream)
Mix and set aside.
Then combine the Gluten free flour, Xanthan Gum, Baking Powder, Bicarbonate of soda and Caster sugar into a separate bowl and mix until combined.
Then pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until fully incorporated and make sure not to over mix it. Transfer the gluten free strawberry cake mix into your prepared cake tin and bake at 180° for 25-30mins or until springy to the touch.
Vegan strawberry frosting recipe
As the cake cools, make the vegan strawberry buttercream by beating together the vegan butter and icing sugar until pale and fluffy.
Once the cake has cooled, dollop the buttercream on top of the cake and randomly spoon the remaining strawberry sauce onto the vegan strawberry frosting.
Then with the end of your palette knife/spatula swirl the 2 together until it has covered the cake.
Slice up some strawberries and place them decoratively on top of the cake with a couple of raspberries. Voila! Slice and Enjoy!
How to decorate a strawberry cake
Tips for making fresh strawberry cake batter
This cake batter is very easy to make, but here are a few tips to ensure it turns out perfect:
- Measure the flour properly. Using a measuring scale is best to ensure your measurements are precise. Adding too much flour can leave you with a dry cake.
- Lightly blend the strawberries - Place the cleaned and cut strawberries in a food processor and pulse about 2 times. It should still be chunky as we want those bits of strawberry throughout the batter. If you don’t have a food processor, you can also heat the strawberries over the stove until it begins to release its juices and disintegrate slightly.
Master the art of baking GF, DF & Vegan
Baking Free From 101
Why did my cake turn out so dense?
It’s most probable that you incorrectly measured the wet ingredients. As too much liquid ingredients in this batter can make the cake turn out too dense or stodgy.
It could however be an issue with the oven temperature. If the temperature is too low, the cake won’t bake fast enough and not rise properly. Leading to a dense sponge.
How long will the cake keep?
For this cake I’d recommend it to be eaten within the day it was baked. It tends to lose its fluffy light consistency in the coming days. And to be honest I think it’ll be hard for all of this cake not to be gobbled within the first day by your family and/or the kids!
If however, it's not finished you can store it in a cake container at room temperature for up to 3 days. If it’s sliced into, cover the slice openings with clingfilm/plastic wrap and store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
For more delicious fruity recipes, check out my:
Super Easy 5 Ingredient Banana Blueberry Protein Balls
Super Simple No bake Lemon and Blueberry Cheesecake
White Chocolate Pomegranate Cheesecake That’s Vegan AND Gluten Free
Easy Healthy Yogurt Panna Cotta Recipe
By Far The BEST Vegan AND Gluten Free Apple Pie
Make sure to tag me @whiskmefree on Instagram and leave a review below if you make this Vegan Strawberry Sheet Cake. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card or on any of the photos above. Happy baking!
Vegan Strawberry Sheet Cake
- Square baking tin
- 130 g Apple sauce
- 60 g Plant based milk
- 32 g Veg oil
- ½ tablespoon Apple cider vinegar
- 100 g Stawberries
- 2 tablespoon Water
- 180 g Gluten free flour
- 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 1½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda
- 140 g Caster sugar
- 85 g Vegan butter
- 200 g Icing sugar
- Combine all the wet ingredients into a bowl - including the strawberries and water which you want to heat on a hob until it purees into a liquid. - it's ok if it has the seeds this will add texture to the cake. [Leave a tablespoon of the sauce aside to use for the buttercream]130 g Apple sauce, 60 g Plant based milk, 32 g Veg oil, ½ tablespoon Apple cider vinegar, 100 g Stawberries, 2 tablespoon Water
- Pour and mix this into the wet mix and set aside.
- Combine all the dry ingredients into a separate bowl and mix until combined.180 g Gluten free flour, 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum, 1½ teaspoon Baking Powder, 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda, 140 g Caster sugar
- Then pour the wet into the dry ingredients and mix until fully incorporated and making sure not to over mix it.
- Transfer to your prepared cake tin and bake at 180° for 25-30mins or until springy to the touch.
- As the cake cools make the vegan buttercream by beating together the butter and icing sugar until pale and fluffy.85 g Vegan butter, 200 g Icing sugar
- Once the cake has cooled dollop the buttercream on top of the cake and randomly spoon the remaining strawberry sauce onto the buttercream.
- Then with the end of your palette knife/spatula swirl the 2 together until it has covered the cake.
- Slice up some strawberries and place them decoratively on top of the cake with a couple of raspberries. Voila!Strawberries, Raspberries
- Slice and Enjoy!
What do you think? Is this gluten free strawberry cake with real strawberries better than a vegan strawberry cake mix? Let me know in the comments below.
© Leena. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.
I loveee strawberries and strawberry cake, but store bought always tastes so artificial. This sounds and looks absolutely divine. Thanks so much for sharing another amazing recipe!
Thanks Meghan and I couldn't agree more!
Kaybee Lives says
This looks amazing! I can't wait for fresh strawberry season just around the corner and I will definitely be making this cake for my friends! Thanks for sharing another great recipe!
This looks so delicious!
Thrive with Mariya says
I've never made a vegan cake before but I should definitely try this one. It looks so fresh and light. Thank you for sharing this recipe 🙂
Maria Khan says
Great! Strawberries protect your heart, increase HDL (good) cholesterol, lower your blood pressure, and guard against cancer.
They sure do!