Blueberries and Peaches, such an exquisite fruit combo you don't hear enough about! The sweet, smooth texture of the peaches combine so beautifully with fresh, juicy blueberries nested on top of a super moist cake.
What's even better is that this blueberry and peach cake is soft, moist and relatively healthy.
It contains, 1 of your 5 a day, plant based milk and yogurt. As well as, rap-seed oil and fructose sugar in controlled amounts.
The key difference between caster sugar and fructose sugar is that, fructose sugar comes from the sugar from fruits. This makes it a slightly healthier alternative to sugar, however, it is still processed.
Processed sugars is linked to type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, inflammation and heart disease. If eaten in large amounts. That is why it is important to have it in small controlled amounts, as I have done in this recipe.
The same can be said for rapseed oil. Although it is an unsaturated fat and therefore a healthier alternative. If consumed in large amounts it can have some health risks. As I have delved open in detail in my recent post.
Things to note about the recipe
Like a lot of my gluten free cake recipes such as my Strawberry and Chocolate chip banana bread this recipe also includes Xanthan gum. This ingredient is quite vital in gluten free bakes to prevent then from being crumbly. As it acts as a stabiliser, in the same way gluten does in normal plain/self-raising flour.
For this recipe I have also used tinned peaches 'in juice'. This is important to note when making your own, that you don't purchase peaches 'in syrup'. As this means your peaches have just been stored in sugar.
So the nutritional benefits of the peach's in your cake, has gone out the window. As your peaches will no longer have the same benefits/nutrients. As it has now nearly all sugar from the syrup its absorbed.
Instead opt for peaches stored in the juice of the peach or peel a fresh peach and slice them yourself!
Master the art of baking GF, DF & Vegan
Baking Free From 101
The Super Simple Blueberry & Peach Cake
Super Simple Gluten Free Blueberry and Peach Cake
- 6 inch Cake tin
- ½ cup Rapseed oil or veg oil
- ½ cup Fructose Sugar
- ⅓ cup Yogurt (dairy free)
- ¼ cup Honey
- 1 ¼ cup Gluten Free Flour
- 1 teaspoon Xanthun gum
- 80 ml Plant based milk
- 2 teaspoon Apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup Blueberries
- Few canned peach slices (or fresh peach peeled)
- Preheat the oven to 180° and grease your 6 inch baking tin.
- Make the batter by combining the oil, fructose sugar, yogurt and honey to a bowl and mix.½ cup Rapseed oil, ½ cup Fructose Sugar, ⅓ cup Yogurt, ¼ cup Honey
- Then add the gluten free flour and xanthin gum and mix gently.1 ¼ cup Gluten Free Flour, 1 teaspoon Xanthun gum
- You can then add the milk, apple cider vinegar and blueberries, being careful not to over mix.2 teaspoon Apple cider vinegar, ¾ cup Blueberries, 80 ml Plant based milk
- Then transfer batter to cake tin and decorate with extra blueberries and peach slices.¾ cup Blueberries, Few canned peach slices
- Bake for 20-25 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
There are so many cool and delicious variations that can be made using this recipe. For example, this recipe also works brilliantly for blueberry vegan donuts. The recipe for that is just here.
As always, I'm really excited to hear your thoughts on this bake. And if you have any questions at all leave me a comment below and I'll get back to you as soon as I can x
© Leena. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.
Kaybee Lives says
This cake was made for me! Blueberries and peaches are my two favorite fruits, and who doesnt love cake! I will be making this for our friday night dinner gathering this week! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks so much Kaybee, and I couldn't agree more! This is such a beautiful combination of fruits that go so well in cake. Hope you have a brilliant dinner x