These layered almond bars are the best date bars.
If you’re looking for more snacks for peanut allergy check out my:
Quick 3 Ingredient Gluten Free Dairy Free Truffles
Easy Chocolate Caramel Gluten Free Shortbread Bars
Gluten Free Cinnamon Roll Cookies – (Oh and they’re Vegan)
Why you’ll love these dates bars
- They’re completely vegan and gluten free
- These are healthy packed with nutrients and antioxidants
- It’s no bake
- They’re so easy and simple to make
Expert Baking Tips
Although the recipe for these no bake almond bars is super simple here are just a few expert tips i'd recommend:
- If you have tough/hard dates, soaking them overnight or for at least 4hrs in water will make it easier to blend.
- An excellent substitute for maple syrup if don’t have any is honey.
- If you would like these almond date bars to be completely nut free, you can use tahini in place of the almond butter.
Master the art of baking GF, DF & Vegan
Baking Free From 101
Ingredients list for these no bake chocolate almond bars
Here is everything I used for these bars:
This recipe features NKD Living’s almond butter which has been perfectly roasted whole Spanish Almonds with the skin left on. What I really like about this almond butter is that unlike other almond butters there is no addition of sugar, salt or palm oil. It's completely made from almonds. That have been slow-roasted to help improve the taste, aroma and texture of the spread.
Step By Step
To make these you want to begin by making the base for this mix together your almond flour, icing sugar and almond butter.
Press that into a loaf tin and set aside. For the date caramel simply blend together your dates and almond butter until it forms a paste then add some water gradually until it begins to loosen.
Pour this over the base and refrigerate while you melt together your vegan butter and chocolate together for 30sec intervals in the microwave and then pour over the date caramel layer. And sprinkle on some flaked almonds.
Set in the freezer for 3-4 hours, slice and enjoy.
If you didn't want to make these dates bars vegan simply substitute the vegan chocolate for normal dark chocolate and the vegan butter for normal butter or margarine.
Can I make this almond bars recipe with almond paste ?
Yes, almond paste would work in the same way as almond butter. I would recommend using Nooj - almond paste.
Are these almond bars gluten free ?
Yes these are completely gluten free, as we are using almond flour. However, if you didn’t have any almond flour gluten free plain flour or oat flour would work well here too.
How are these dates bars recipe healthy ?
These bars are packed full of antioxidants and nutrients from the dates and dark chocolate as well as healthy fats from the almond butter. Dates also help support your gut and bone health. Along with all these health benefits they also taste incredibly fudgy and delicious.
Can I make these almond bars with almond extract ?
Extracts can be really handy things to really incorporate a flavor profile to a confection, when you don't have the ingredient/fruit to hand. However, for these bars I wouldn’t recommend it as the almond butter produces a more subtle almond flavour and acts as the binding agent in these bars.
If you only had peanut butter to hand and wanted to make it almond flavor adding a drop of almond extract into these bars would be perfect.
Storing and freezing
These dates bars can last for up to 5 days. These can also be frozen and can last for up to 3 months.
Make sure to tag me @whiskmefree on Instagram and leave a review below if you make these dates bars. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card or on any of the photos above. Happy baking!
The best almond bars recipe :
- loaf tin
- mixing bowl
- 200 g Almond Flour
- 50 g Gluten Free flour
- 150 g Erythritol Icing Sugar
- 100 g Almond Butter
- 200 g Pitted Dates
- 50 g Almond Butter
- 3 tablespoon Water
- 100 g Vegan chocolate
- 30 g Vegan butter
- 20 g Flaked Almonds
- Mix together the base ingredients until it comes together into a dough200 g Almond Flour, 150 g Erythritol Icing Sugar, 50 g Almond Butter, 100 g Almond Butter
- Press into a loaf tin lined with grease proof paper/baking parchment.
- Set aside while you make the healthy vegan caramel.
- Blend together the 'caramel' ingredients until it reaches a thick caramel consistency. If it's too thick add more water.200 g Pitted Dates, 3 tablespoon Water, 100 g Almond Butter
- Spread ontop of the base layer and chill while you make the chocolate top.
- Melt together the vegan butter and chocolate until a thick runny consistency. Pour over caramel layer and sprinkle with flaked almonds.100 g Vegan chocolate, 20 g Flaked Almonds, 30 g Vegan butter
- Chill in the freezer for 1hr or until the 'caramel' has completely set.
- Slice into bars and enjoy!
Please leave a review
© Leena. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.
These sound delicious! I really appreciate that you have step-by-step instructions and photos, it's super helpful! 🙂
Thanks Meghan 🙂