This dairy free strawberry buttercream is super fluffy and soft, perfect for frosting on cupcakes/layered cakes
In this guide we will be going though how to make stable vegan buttercream and answering your FAQ’s such as ‘what to do when buttercream is too runny’ ‘does vegan buttercream need to be refrigerated’ and so much more.
Expert Baking Tips for the best vegan non dairy strawberry frosting
Although the recipe for this vegan strawberry frosting is super easy, here are just a few expert tips i'd recommend:
- Mix your vegan butter with an electric whisk for 5 mins, until pale and fluffy. This should double the butter's volume and help lose its yellow color.
- Once the butter is pale and fluffy add ½ of the icing sugar and beat for a further 5mins after each addition
- If you’re using vegan spread/margarine you wont need to add any milk/water as spread has a high water potential anymore and your buttercream will likely split.
- If you find that your buttercream is still too loose after the 2nd ½ of icing sugar, add 2 tablespoon at a time until you’ve reached your desired consistency.
- If you use block butter make sure it is at room temperature before beating, as this will likely create lumps in your buttercream.
Master the art of baking GF, DF & Vegan
Baking Free From 101
Ingredients list for the best recipe for lemon curd
Recipe lemon curd ingredients:
- Vegan butter- You can use either vegan block butter or margarine. Just follow the notes above regarding each.
- Plant-based milk - Only necessary if your buttercream is too stiff. This can also be substituted for the flavor of buttercream you plan to use like strawberry jam/lemon juice
- Icing sugar, this will help stabilize the buttercream and add sweetness.
- Food gel - only if you want to change the color of your buttercream. Make sure you're using a gel not a dye. As dye’s will likely change the consistency of your buttercream to make it more runny.
Refined Sugar free alternative.
If you wanted this to be refined sugar free simply substitute the icing sugar for, erythritol icing sugar. However, as this is a sweetener you will require less as it is generally 5-10x more sweet that normal icing sugar.
How to make vegan strawberry frosting
Step by step instructions for non dairy strawberry frosting
Like every vegan buttercream/frosting, for this vegan strawberry buttercream frosting begin by creaming the butter on it’s own for 5 mins until pale and fluffy. Once the butter is pale and fluffy add ½ of the icing sugar and beat for a further 5 mins.
Then add your strawberry jam - this shouldn't be runny at all as that will change the consistency of the buttercream. Add the remaining icing sugar and beat for a further 5mins. Add your red/pink food gel and cream until incorporated.
Your vegan strawberry crupcake frosting is now ready to pipe onto cupcakes or spread onto layered cakes. Enjoy!
How to know how much buttercream to make ?
This recipe makes enough buttercream to decorate 6 cupcakes and layer and crumb coat a 2 layered cake. If your require any more buttercream then simply double the recipe.
Is this the best buttercream for strawberry cake ?
Yes! This is perfect for a strawberry cake, and it isn’t overly sweet to overpower your strawberry sponge. This buttercream would also fit perfectly as a vanilla/lemon cake frosting too!
What to do when buttercream is too runny ?
If you find your frosting isn’t stable at all and is on the runny/splitting side. Then add 2 tablespoon of icing sugar at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
Why is my buttercream yellow ?
This is probably because you haven't been beating your butter for long enough. Or that you're not using an electric whisk. An electric whisk is key to creating a light fluffy buttercream. As it whips air into the frosting.
Storing and freezing
Does vegan buttercream need to be refrigerated ?
Yes, don’t leave buttercream overnight especially on a hot day as it will go off. Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a week.
Make sure to tag me @whiskmefree on Instagram and leave a review below if you made this dairy free strawberry buttercream. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card or on any of the photos above. Happy baking!
The best recipe for dairy free strawberry buttercream
- 100 g Vegan butter
- 250 g Icing Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Strawberry Jam
- Red Food Gel
- Begin by creaming your vegan butter until pale and fluffy with an electric whisk.100 g Vegan butter
- Then add ½ the icing sugar and gently mix into the butter until incorperated. Then whisk with the electric whisk until smooth. Add the remaining icing sugar and repeat the process.250 g Icing Sugar
- Add in the strawberry jam and gel into the buttercream, and finally whisk on high speed until fluffy.1 tablespoon Strawberry Jam, Red Food Gel
Please leave me a star review below or share as it will help my blog grow so I can keep creating these recipes for you.
© Leena. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.