These cornflake no bake bars are so simple and make the perfect on the go snack or breakfast.
You don't always need marshmallows to make yummy homemade cornflake cereal bars. I’m going to show you a really easy way to create these super yummy cereal bars without marshmallows that are sweet, crunchy and slightly nutty.
A really great thing about these bars also is how customisable you can make them to suit any flavor profile or dietary requirement. Take for example, for this recipe I used smooth almond butter, but you can easily switch it up by using peanut butter. To make these into peanut butter cornflake treats. Or cashew butter.
Hey, even tahini might work if you're a fan. Tahini can be a very strong flavor but if it's a spread you really enjoy, that might just be your jam.
I’ll also be sharing some more flavor variations and mix in’s below. And would highly recommend you check that part of this post out!
This cereal bars without peanut butter recipe requires just 5 ingredients and comes together in just 20 minutes!
If you’re looking for more snacks to add to your baking list check out my Funfetti Cookies and Vegan GF Scones
Cornflake No Bake Bars
Expert Baking Tips for this cereal bars recipe
Although this cereal bars recipe is super easy, here are just a few expert tips i'd recommend:
- Make sure to add smooth runny (palm oil free) nut butter for these bars. As this will fully coat and bind the ingredients together.
- If you don't have any golden syrup, make sure to substitute for something sticky to help bind the bars together. Like caramel or thick honey.
- To cut clean squares with less risk of breaking the chocolate once set. Dip or pour boiling water over a sharp knife. Then dry with a towel and slice. Hold the knife over the area you want to cut and gently add a little pressure until the chocolate has been completely cut through.
Master the art of baking GF, DF & Vegan
Baking Free From 101
How to make cornflake bars
Cereal bars recipe no bake - Ingredients
Here's everything I used to make this easy no bake chocolate cornflake bars :
- Golden Syrup - This adds sweetness and its stickiness helps to bind the bars together. This can also be substituted for thick honey.
- Almond butter - make sure this is smooth and palm oil free. As we need the butter to be slightly runny so it coats the corn flakes easily. This can also be substituted for peanut or cashew butter.
- Cornflakes - I used gluten free cornflakes which can be found in nearly every grocery store. However, if you don't want to make these gluten free. Regular cornflakes work perfectly well.
- Vegan Chocolate - I’d recommend lightly sprinkling this with some sea salt once set on top of the bars.
- Vegan butter - This will be added to the chocolate, to create a ganache-like consistency. It helps slice the bars when the chocolate has set.
If you don't want to make this homemade cereal bars recipe vegan simply substitute the vegan butter for regular block butter or margarine and the plant based chocolate for normal milk/dark chocolate.
Recipe for cereal bars homemade
How to make homemade cereal bars - Step by step instructions
For these cornflake bars no bake bars begin by combining the cornflakes, syrup and almond butter together until incorporated. Once all the cornflakes have been fully coated transfer it into your lined cake tin.
Next heat together your butter and chocolate in the microwave for 30 sec intervals until melted. It may seem quite thick to start but continue to stir until it becomes runny.
Pour the chocolate over the cornflakes layer and spread it evenly with the back of a spoon. Refrigerate for 20 mins and slice into 12.
To cut clean squares with less risk of breaking the chocolate. Dip or pour boiling water over a sharp knife. Then dry with a towel and slice. Hold the knife over the area you want to cut and gently add a little pressure until the chocolate has been completely cut through.
You shouldn't notice any severe chocolate breaks, with this method. You will need to repeat the knife heating process between cuts as the knife will cool down quickly and will likely break the chocolate.
Once sliced, enjoy with some cold plant based milk or drink of choice!
Flavour Variations and Mix-ins
There's so many different flavor profiles you can create using this recipe. Here are some examples:
PB & J Cornflake Bars
Corn flakes bars peanut butter - combined with sliced strawberries incorporated into the cornflake mixture. And topped with strawberry jam marbled into the chocolate top. [in my opinion this might be the best cornflake bars recipe]
Healthy Cereal Bars Recipe
Combination of tahini and molasses. These are both very strong flavor profiles but the nutritional benefits of both are incredible. From being good sources of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, on, selenium, and copper, all of which help maintain healthy bones. Just to name a few.
Recipe for healthy cereal bars
To add this to a cereal bar, simply substitute the nut butter for tahini - same quantities. And the golden syrup for molasses. However, you only need 50% the amount of molasses compared to the golden syrup as it is naturally very sweet and 10x more sticky than golden syrup.
Let me know in the comments if you try this healthy cereal bars recipe.
How to make this into a peanut butter cereal bars recipe ?
It’s really quite simple actually. Simply substitute the almond butter for the same weight as smooth palm oil free peanut butter and they you have it, cereal bars recipe with peanut butter
You can also make these cereal bars with peanut butter and honey, if you don't have any maple syrup. But like I mentioned above. Make sure you're using thick honey as runny honey won’t bind the bars together as well.
How can I make these into healthy no bake cereal bars ?
Or perhaps more specifically, “how to make cereal bars healthy’. Well, the only ‘unhealthy’ elements in these bars are the golden syrup, chocolate and vegan butter. But this can be easily substituted for ‘healthier’ alternatives to make these into cereal bars without sugar.
You can replace honey in place of golden syrup, dark dairy free chocolate - at least 70% and coconut oil in place of vegan butter. And there you have it, a healthy recipe for cereal bars.
Best cereal for cereal bars ?
I really like using cornflakes but rice krispies are also one of my favorites to use. Puffed rice or buckwheat are also excellent for cereal bars with more nutritional benefits.
Storing and freezing
How long do cereal bars last?
At room temperature in a sealed container these bars will last up to 5 days. In the fridge in a sealed container for 8 days and freeze for up to 4 months in an airtight container.
Make sure to tag me @whiskmefree on Instagram and leave a review below if you made these cornflake no bake bars. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card or on any of the photos above. Happy baking!
Cornflake no bake bars
Cornflake no bake bars
- Square cake tin
- 250 g Cornflakes (Gluten Free)
- 200 g Golden Syrup
- 250 g Almond Butter
- 300 g Vegan Chocolate
- 30 g Vegan Butter
- Begin by lining your baking tray with 2 sheets of grease proof paper one to cover one length of the tin and the other to cover the other side. Then set aside.
- Simply combine the cornflakes, syrup and almond butter together until incorporated. Once all the cornflakes have been fully coated transfer it into your lined cake tin.250 g Cornflakes, 200 g Golden Syrup, 250 g Almond Butter
- Next heat together your butter and chocolate in the microwave for 30 sec intervals until melted. It may seem quite thick to start but continue to stir until it becomes runny.300 g Vegan Chocolate, 30 g Vegan Butter
- Pour the chocolate over the cornflakes layer and spread it evenly with the back of a spoon. Refrigerate for 20mins and slice into 12.
- To cut clean squares with less risk of breaking the chocolate. Dip or pour boiling water over a sharp knife. Then dry with a towel and slice. Hold the knife over the area you want to cut and gently add a little pressure until the chocolate has been completely cut through.
- You shouldn't notice any severe chocolate breaks, with this method. You will need to repeat the knife heating process between cuts as the knife will cool down quickly and will likely break the chocolate.
- Once sliced, enjoy with some cold plant based milk or drink of choice!
© Leena. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.
It really looks so yummy and easy to make! Thanks for this recipe I'll definitely try it out
so glad you like them
We eat a lot of cornflakes but never thought of this way. This is amazing. I would love to try it.
Yes, they're delicious, do give it ago, you wont be disappointed
These look and sound amazing!! They will definitely go on my meal prep list!!! Thanks so much for sharing 😉
Thanks Nicolle, so glad you like them
I saw this recipe on your insta and I just had to try it, and let me tell you, the recipe did not disappoint, it was so easy and quick to make and they tasted so good!