These cinnamon and apple muffins are soft and fluffy, filled with nuggets of chopped apples and topped with a buttery streusel topping. This recipe for cinnamon apple muffins is the perfect muffin for fall.
The addition of the apple puree and plant based milk is what makes these muffins completely eggless as they both act to bind the ingredients together and create a light fluffy texture.
Similarly, we’ve made these cinnamon apple muffins recipe vegan by simply using dairy free spread in place of ordinary butter or margarine and gluten free flour in place of ordinary plain flour.
In this cinnamon apple muffins recipe I will be going through how to make these apple streusel muffins and answering your FAQs such as ‘can muffins be frozen’ ‘can you make apple muffins with fresh apples ’ ‘how long muffins last’ and so much more.
A really great thing about this easy recipe for apple muffins is how versatile they are. Which is what makes this recipe for healthy apple muffins the best. For example, you can make these into healthy oatmeal apple muffins or perhaps swapping out the chopped apples for chopped walnuts or pecans instead!
I’ll also be sharing some more flavor variations and mix in’s below. And would highly recommend you check that part of this post out!
This recipe for apple muffins requires less than an hour to come together from start to finish!
If you’re looking for more vegan recipes to add to your baking list check out my Apple Crumble Cinnamon Rolls and Blueberry pancakes
Expert Baking Tips on how to make apple muffins
Although this apple crumble muffins recipe is super simple to make, here are just a few expert tips I'd recommend:
- If you can find any apple sauce in your local grocery store you can make it at home by simply peeling, coring and blending your apple until processed with a few chunks for texture.
- To allow even heat distribution for the muffins to rise efficiently to create a classic muffin dome you can leave a gap between each muffin.
- Sprinkle on chopped pieces of apples on top of the muffins along with the streusel topping for more texture.
Master the art of baking GF, DF & Vegan
Baking Free From 101
Recipe apple muffins easy
Ingredients to make these apple muffins recipe easy
- Gluten Free Plain Flour – paired with a teaspoon of xanthan gum to give more stability to the muffins to prevent it from crumbling. However, if you’d prefer not to make these gluten-free simply substitute the gluten-free flour for normal plain flour. There’s also no need to add xanthan gum. As the gluten in the normal flour will prevent the cookies from crumbling.
- Dairy Free Butter – This can be in spread or block form.
- Caster sugar – I like to use caster sugar in my cakes which is just very refined sugar. So if you can’t find caster sugar I’d recommend using very refined granulated sugar.
- Dairy free Yogurt - This helps to make the muffins light and fluffy.
- Apple Sauce - This is our egg substitute. And is also prominent to making these muffins ‘apple pie’ flavor
Muffins recipe uk - Step by step instructions
How to make apple muffins from scratch
Vegan apple muffins gluten free
- Preheat your oven to 180°/365°F and grease and flour your baking tin/line your muffin tray with muffin cases.
- Mix together the milk and vinegar and set aside for 5mins.
- Cream together the sugar and butter for 2-3 mins, then mix in the yoghurt, milk mix and apple puree, until fully combined.
- Next mix in the dry ingredients and begin making the streusel topping.
Apple muffins streusel topping
- To make this cream together the butter, sugar and flour until it reaches a crumb consistency.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin cases using a spoon or ice cream scoop. Then sprinkle on the streusel topping and chopped apple on top of the muffins.
- Bake the muffins for 30-45mins or until the muffins are slightly golden and springy to the touch. A skewer should also come out clean when inserted into the centre.
- Allow the muffins to cool before devouring them with your favourite beverage
Flavour Variations and Mixins - muffins without eggs and milk
Toffee and apple muffins
These would be the perfect cookies all year round. The recipe would be the same as these cinnamon and apple muffins but with the addition of chopped pieces of toffee scattered throughout the muffin and perhaps a light drizzle of caramel
Oatmeal apple muffins
To make these muffins, again you will follow this same muffins breakfast recipe but with the addition of oats and perhaps some raisins and chopped pecans and walnuts for some more texture.
Breakfast muffins recipe healthy
To make this apple muffins recipe healthy simply substitute the dairy free butter for 115 ml of olive oil and substitute the sugar for coconut sugar. Although these alternatives aren’t 100% healthier as they are still processed, they do have more health benefits then their counterparts.
Let me know in the comments if you try these variations or if you came up with your own!
FAQs - Muffins How To Make
Can you make these muffins self raising flour instead of plain ?
Using self raising flour in these muffins will help make these muffins more risen however, as we are adding baking powder to the muffins already, both flours will have the same effect. So if you would like to use self raising flour instead that’s absolutely fine.
Storing and freezing for all - gluten free recipes cookies
Can you freeze apple muffins ?
They stay good at room-temperature for up to 2 days, in the fridge for up to a week, and in the freezer for up to 2 months if stored in an airtight container.
Make sure to tag me@whiskmefree on Instagram and leave a review below if you followed this cinnamon and apple muffins recipe. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card or on any of the photos above. Happy baking!
Cinnamon and apple muffins
Apple streusel MuffinsPrint Pin Rate Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 190 g Caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 115 g Dairy Free Butter
- 245 g Gluten Free flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 teaspoon Apple cider Vinegar
- 6 tablespoon Plant based Yogurt
- 100 ml Plant based milk
- 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 120 g Apple Puree
- ½ Chopped Apple
- 2½ tablespoon Vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon Light Brown sugar
- 70 g Gluten Free flour
- Preheat your oven to 180°/365°F and grease and flour your baking tin/line your muffin tray wit muffin cases.
- Mix together the milk and vinegar and set aside for 5mins.100 ml Plant based milk, 2 teaspoon Apple cider Vinegar
- Cream together the sugar and butter for 2-3 mins, then mix in the yoghurt, milk mix and apple puree, until fully combined.190 g Caster sugar, 115 g Dairy Free Butter, 6 tablespoon Plant based Yogurt, 120 g Apple Puree, 1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- Next mix in the dry ingredients and begin making the streusel topping.245 g Gluten Free flour, 2 teaspoon Baking Powder, 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- To make this cream together the butter, sugar and flour until it reaches a crumb consistency.2½ tablespoon Vegan butter, 1 tablespoon Light Brown sugar, 70 g Gluten Free flour
- Scoop the batter into the muffin cases using a spoon or ice cream scoop. Then sprinkle on the streusel topping and chopped apple on top of the muffins.½ Chopped Apple
- Bake the muffins for 30-45mins or until the muffins are slighly golden and springy to the touch. A skewer should also come out clean when inserted into the centre.
- Allow the muffins to cool before devouring them with your favourite beverage
© Leena. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.
Great tips, I will need them to help me with baking. I love apple pies and my favorite thing to eat.
My muffins always come out atrociously. So hopefully this easy to follow recipe will help improve my skills!