Chocolate Cupcakes Vegan - This chocolate cupcakes easy recipe makes super fluffy and moist cupcakes that are topped with smooth pink buttercream and finally decorated with chocolate dipped strawberries. Delicious.
This chocolate cupcakes recipe without eggs is also vegan and gluten free. If you'd prefer not to make it vegan and gluten free then check out my substitutes list so you can make this suitable for all dietary requirements.
In this recipe for chocolate cupcakes gluten free I will be going through how to make these chocolate cupcakes moist and answering your FAQs such as ‘what frosting goes with chocolate cupcakes’ ‘how to make these into fancy chocolate strawberry cupcakes’ ‘chocolate cupcakes decorating ideas’ and so much more.
A really great thing about these super moist chocolate cupcakes is how versatile it is. Which is what makes this chocolate cupcakes recipe best. For example, you can make this into a chocolate and strawberries cake by pouring the batter into a round cake tin instead of cupcake cases! Or fill these cupcakes with caramel and top them with chocolate buttercream to make them into snicker cupcakes instead!
I’ll also be sharing some more flavor variations and mix in’s below. And would highly recommend you check that part of this post out!
- Ingredients - chocolate cupcakes easy
- A Chocolate Cupcake Recipe - Instructions
- Top tip
- Baking Free From 101
- Trending Posts
- Easy Less Than 10 Min Microwave Tres Leche Cake
- The Best Cheesecake Caramel Recipe
- The Best Matcha Cookie Recipe
- The Ultimate Recipe For Red Velvet Cake - No Egg, Gluten or Dairy
Ingredients - chocolate cupcakes easy
- Gluten Free flour - This can either be gluten free plain or self-raising flour. If you don’t want to make this gluten free - look at my substitutes list below.
- Dairy Free Butter – This can be in spread or block form at room temperature .
- Caster sugar – I like to use caster sugar in my cakes which is just very refined sugar. So if you can’t find caster sugar I’d recommend using refined or normal granulated sugar.
- Powdered sugar - Also known as icing sugar, will be using this for the buttercream
- Bicarbonate of soda and vinegar - Adding both to the batter is what makes these delicious chocolate cupcakes fluffy and well risen (it’s out egg substitute)
- See recipe card for quantities.
See recipe card for quantities.
chocolate cupcakes recipe moist
A Chocolate Cupcake Recipe - Instructions
- Preheat your oven to 180°/365°F and line your cupcake tin with cupcake cases.
- Combine the milk and apple cider vinegar in a glass/bowl and leave aside while you make the batter.
3. Mix together the dry ingredients into a large bowl until fully combined.
4. Pour in the wet ingredients, mix until combined. Divide the batter evenly between your cupcakes, making sure not to fill them to the top as they will rise and dome too much.
5. Bake for 20-25 mins or until springy to the touch and a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre.
Chocolate cupcakes icing
6. As the cakes cools, make the buttercream by beating together all the ingredients until thick and pipe-able.
7. Once the cupcakes have cooled pipe the buttercream onto the cakes using a star tip.
8. Dip your strawberries in chocolate and place the in the centre of your cupcake. All that's left is to enjoy!
If you’d prefer not to make these chocolate strawberry muffins specific to any dietary requirements, simply substitute the ingredients that correlate to your needs to make this chocolate cupcakes recipe simple suitable for your diet.
- Gluten free - If you’d prefer not to make these cupcakes gluten-free simply substitute the gluten-free flour for normal plain flour.
- Dairy free/vegan- If you’d prefer not to make these chocolate cupcakes dairy free simply substitute the dairy free butter - spread/block. You may also substitute the plant based milk for normal whole milk
Even if you don’t follow a specific diet (eg. gluten free), you may have friends or family that could use this.
Simple ways you can change this recipe to better suit your dinner guests:
Prefer something more sweet ?
Check out my chocolate cupcakes vegan. These rich and decadent chocolate cupcakes are light, moist, and are filled with caramel, and topped with a chocolate buttercream and hazelnut drip. Check out my snicker cupcake recipe here.
Looking for something more zesty?
Then you NEED to try these lemon cupcakes. These lemon muffins are light and spongy and the perfect treat all year round.
Let me know in the comments if you try these variations or if you came up with your own!
Equipment can have a big impact on how a recipe turns out. Stone bakeware takes longer to heat up than metal pans, and also retains heat for longer, which could make the recipe more watery, or burnt on the outsides.
For this recipe you’ll need a cupcake tin. This is the one I use and I use it all the time, with these cupcake cases.
Storing and freezing vegan chocolate cupcakes
How long does vegan and gluten free cupcakes last?
This will stay good at room temperature for up to 5 days, and in the freezer for up to 2 months if stored in an airtight container - without the frosting.
Although this recipe for chocolate cupcakes easy, here are just a few expert tips I'd recommend:
Only fill your cupcakes ¾ of the way full, because if you fill it to the top it’ll overflow and will be shaped more like a muffin than a cupcake.
Allow the cake to cool for at least 20 -30 mins before decorating with cream, as the cream will melt and dissolve into the cake if added onto a hot cake.
Master the art of baking GF, DF & Vegan
Baking Free From 101
Make sure to tag me @whiskmefree on Instagram and leave a review below if you made these choc mint cookies. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card or on any of the photos above. Happy baking!
Vanilla, strawberry, raspberry or chocolate flavored buttercream will work well for these cupcakes. If you’re wondering how to make vegan buttercream light and fluffy check out my foolproof recipe here.
You can decorate these vegan cupcakes with strawberries and raspberries. If you’d prefer to decorate your cupcakes with raspberries, instead of dipping your raspberries in cupcakes, transfer your chocolate into a piping bag and drip the chocolate down the top of the iced cupcakes and then top with a raspberry.
- 1 cup Plant based milk
- ½ tablespoon Apple cider Vinegar
- 1 ¾ cup Gluten Free flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup Caster sugar
- ¼ cup Cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoon Fine and Raws Sweet Hazelnut Spread
- ½ cup Vegetable oil
- 150 g Vegan butter
- 300 g Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Fine and Raw Oat Milk Chocolate Hazelnut Butter Spread
- Red/Pink Food gel
- Fine and Raw Raspberry Chocolate Bar
- Combine the milk and apple cider vinegar in a glass/bowl and leave aside while you make the batter.1 cup Plant based milk, ½ tablespoon Apple cider Vinegar
- Mix together the dry ingredients into a large bowl until fully combined.1 ¾ cup Gluten Free flour, ½ teaspoon Baking Powder, ½ teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda, 1 cup Caster sugar, ¼ cup Cocoa powder
- Pour in the wet ingredients, mix until combined.2 tablespoon Fine and Raws Sweet Hazelnut Spread, ½ cup Vegetable oil
- Divide the batter evenly between your cupcakes, making sure not to fill them to the top as they will rise and dome too much.
- Bake for 20-25 mins or until springy to the touch and a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre.
- As the cakes cools, make the buttercream by beating together all the ingredients until thick and pipe-able.150 g Vegan butter, 300 g Powdered Sugar, 1 tablespoon Fine and Raw Oat Milk Chocolate Hazelnut Butter Spread, Red/Pink Food gel
- Once the cupcakes have cooled pipe the buttercream onto the cakes using a star tip.
- Dip your strawberries in chocolate and place the in the centre of your cupcake. All that's left is to enjoy!Strawberries, Fine and Raw Raspberry Chocolate Bar
© Leena. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.