This buttercream for cake filling is insanely easy to make! And requires just 3 ingredients that everyone has in their pantry!
You can make this recipe of buttercream vegan, dairy free or not. The choice is yours but the process is exactly the same!
This is the fluffiest buttercream frosting, perfect icing for cakes, cupcakes, pound cakes and of course layered cakes, like my epic chocolate and raspberry cake.
This buttercream easy recipe requires just 3 everyday pantry ingredients and comes together in less than 10 minutes!
In this simple buttercream icing recipe I will be going through how to make berry buttercream and answering your FAQs such as ‘how to buttercream cake’ ‘how to store a cake with buttercream frosting’ ‘best buttercream storage’ and so much more.
A really great thing about this buttercream cake icing recipe is how versatile it is. Which is what makes this buttercream for cake filling best. For example, you can make buttercream icing blueberry, strawberry, blackberry or into a mixture of berries buttercream.
I’ll also be sharing some more flavor variations and mix in’s below. And would highly recommend you check that part of this post out!
- Buttercream Icing Ingredients
- Instructions - Recipe for buttercream cake filling
- Variations - Buttercream icing cakes
- Top tip making buttercream
- Baking Free From 101
- Trending Posts
- The Ultimate Vegan Cheesecake - Easy Vegan Biscoff Cheesecake
- Biscoff Cream Cake: A Quick and Easy Vegan Dessert
- Best Easy Vegan Chocolate Biscuit Dessert
- The Best Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Cheesecake
Buttercream Icing Ingredients
- Berries - these can be frozen or fresh.
- Vegan butter – This will give the jam texture and will be the natural thickening agent which helps make this jam pectin free.
- Sugar – to make buttercream you need icing/powdered sugar
- Vanilla - optional
See recipe card for quantities.
Instructions - Recipe for buttercream cake filling
- Begin by creaming your vegan butter for 3-5 mins, until pale and fluffy with an electric or handheld whisk.
2. Then add ½ the icing sugar and gently mix into the butter until incorperated. Then whisk until smooth. Add the remaining icing sugar and repeat the process.
3. Now add the jam and whisk. It's now ready to ice onto your cakes.
Vegan - If you'd prefer not to make this berry buttercream vegan then use normal block butter instead, just make sure it is as room temperature.
Variations - Buttercream icing cakes
Simple ways you can make buttercream to better suit your dinner guests:
Feeling a bit adventurous? Why not make it with my blueberry jam, that takes just 5 minute to make and add it to your buttercream for more color and flavor.
Don’t have any fresh berries?
Just use frozen berries for the compote instead, this can be a mixture of berries, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries or raspberries.
Let me know in the comments if you try these variations or if you came up with your own!
For this recipe all you’ll need is a bowl and handheld whisk or electric whisk if you're short for time.
Storing and freezing vegan buttercream
How long does flavored buttercream last?
This buttercream should be kept refrigerated if your not using it on a cake the same day. It would also be beneficial to cover the buttercream with cling film/plastic wrap to prevent the buttercream from creating a crusty top.
If you want to store your extra buttercream, then you can freeze it for up to a month if stored in an airtight container.
Top tip making buttercream
Although this buttercream recipe is super simple to make, here are just a few expert tips I'd recommend:
If you're using vegan block butter make sure it’s at room temperature before creaming as it will likely be too stiff and won’t combine well with the icing sugar.
Make sure not to add too much jam or compote as this will likely change the consistency of the buttercream a little goes along way
Master the art of baking GF, DF & Vegan
Baking Free From 101
Make sure to tag me @whiskmefree on Instagram and leave a review below if you followed this buttercream for cake filling recipe. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card or on any of the photos above. Happy baking!
- 100 g Vegan butter
- 180 g Powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoon Berry jam/compote
- Begin by creaming your vegan butter for 3-5 mins, until pale and fluffy with an electric or handheld whisk.100 g Vegan butter
- Then add ½ the icing sugar and gently mix into the butter until incorperated. Then whisk until smooth. Add the remaining icing sugar and repeat the process.180 g Powdered sugar
- Now add the jam and whisk. It's now ready to ice onto your cakes.2 teaspoon Berry jam/compote
© Leena. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.