This blueberry and apple crumble recipe is so fresh and refreshing, it's composed of lightly spiced apples and blueberries, topped with a soft, slightly crisp streusel topping, and finished with vanilla ice cream! It's pretty amazing. The perfect comfort dessert to welcome in the colder seasons.
For this crumble with oats recipe, I will be going through how to make crumble topping gluten free and how to make an apple crumble step by step and answering your FAQs such as 'how to make crumble without butter’ ‘how do you make crumble’ ‘how to make this crumble recipe gluten free ’ and so much more.
This recipe for apple and blueberry crumble is completely eggless, gluten free, nut free and dairy free!
Another great thing about this apple crumble simple recipe is how customisable you can make it. For example, you can make these into a peach cobbler recipe or a classic apple crisp
I’ll also be sharing some more flavor variations and mix in’s below. And would highly recommend you check that part of this post out!
This recipe apple crumble with oats doesn’t require a whole hour to make but less than 15 minutes to come together from start to finish!
Expert Baking Tips on how to make this the best recipe apple crumble
Although this crumble pie recipe is super simple to make, here are just a few expert tips i'd recommend:
- Add a teaspoon or two of muesli to your mug cake to add more texture for the crumble topping.
- I'd recommend keeping the apple peel on to add more texture, but if you'd prefer to make it without then simply peel the apples before slicing.
- If you don't have fresh blueberries, frozen will work fine, just make sure to add ½ tablespoon of cornflour to the flour mix to coat the blueberries.
- This will help ensure that extra water from the frozen blueberries don't make the cobbler too runny and seep out of your dish.
- The cobbler is ready when the streusel is slightly crisp and lightly golden brown.
Master the art of baking GF, DF & Vegan
Baking Free From 101
How to make the crumble for apple crumble
Crumble with oats - Ingredients
Here's everything I used to make this crumble with frozen berries
- Vegan butter- You can use either vegan block butter or margarine.
- Water - A very small amount is required and is needed to bind the crumble together.
- Brown Sugar- I like to use soft brown sugar which is just a very refined sugar, but if you don't have any refined granulated brown sugar will work well here.
- Gluten free Plain flour - If you’re gluten free flour doesn't already have xanthan gum add a teaspoon to the dry ingredients. This will help add stability to the cake and prevent it from crumbling.
- Rolled oats - if you're making your blueberry and apple crumble recipe gluten free then you'll need to use gluten free oats.
Recipe to apple crumble - Step by step instructions
Crumble top recipe
Flavour Variations and Mixins - Making crumble
Simply substitute the mixed berries for a fresh, peeled and chopped peach or a tin of peaches. And follow the same method as this microwave berry dessert. Or make a traditional peach cobbler skillet using this super quick and easy recipe here.
Juicy, fresh cobbler is the perfect dessert. Juicy, fresh blueberries, topped with a spiced streusel topping, and finished with vanilla ice cream!
This is essentially the same recipe for this blueberry cobbler,however, there are slightly different spices used that balances well with the blueberry. Check out the recipe here.
Juicy mixed berries, soft fluffy cinnamon spiced sponge, nuggets of crumble topping all topped with vanilla ice cream! It’s pretty amazing.
Crumble apple and blackberry
The recipe apple and blackberry crumble is essentially the same recipe for this blueberry cobbler, just simply substitute the blueberries for blackberries 🙂
Let me know in the comments if you tried these vegan apple crumble recipes or if you came up with your own!
Can I make crumble without butter ?
For a healthier apple crumble you can sub the butter for, 2 ½ teaspoon of avocado oil. As well as making this vegan apple crisp no sugar and instead using ½ tablespoon of honey, this will also help bind the crumble topping together.
Other crumble filling ideas ?
Check out the flavour combination section above ^
Storing and freezing
How long do crumbles last ?
They stay good at room-temperature for up to 2 days and in the fridge for up to a week.
Make sure to tag me @whiskmefree on Instagram and leave a review below if you followed this blueberry and apple crumble recipe. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card or on any of the photos above. Happy baking!
Blueberry and apple crumble recipe
- ½ tablespoon Light Brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Gluten Free flour
- 1 Apple
- 80 g Blueberries
- ½ tablespoon Vegan butter
- ½ tablespoon Light Brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon Gluten Free flour
- 1 tablespoon Rolled oats (gluten free)
- Plant based double cream
- Begin by thinly slicing your apples. Then to a bowl mix together the sugar, flour and cinnamon.½ tablespoon Light Brown sugar, ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon, 1 tablespoon Gluten Free flour, 1 Apple
- Once incorporated add the apples and blueberries and mix until the apples are fully coated.80 g Blueberries
- Transfer the to 2 Ramakins
- In the same bowl cream together the butter, flour and sugar. Then add the rolled oats and sprinkle the crisp onto the apples mix.½ tablespoon Vegan butter, ½ tablespoon Light Brown sugar, 2 tablespoon Gluten Free flour, 1 tablespoon Rolled oats
- Bake at 180°c/350°F for 10minutes or until golden brown.
- Once cooled, serve with a scoop of ice cream and enjoy!Plant based double cream
© Leena. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.