This is the best recipe for lemon curd that’s completely vegan and looks and tastes just like the real thing. It’s super smooth, zesty and creamy just as you’d expect a lemon curd to have.
This curd pairs beautifully on a slice of toast for a breakfast or snack. Or for the filling of a tart or cake! Nothing beats a classic tart with lemon curd in my opinion.
There are also some ingredient substitutes below if you wanted to make this a healthy vegan lemon curd by making it refined sugar free.
Expert Baking Tips for the best vegan lemon curd
Although the recipe for this easy lemon curd filling recipe is super easy, here are just a few expert tips i’d recommend:
- Mix your plant based milk with the cornflour before pouring it into the pan to ensure the cornflour is properly mixed in. This will help prevent any lumps from forming.
- You can include some lemon zest in your pan for some extra zest.
- Make sure to use a syrup/honey or refined sugar (I use caster sugar) as this will dissolve into the curd as large granules will create a grainy texture.
Master the art of baking GF, DF & Vegan
Baking Free From 101
Ingredients list for the best recipe for lemon curd
Recipe lemon curd ingredients:
- Caster Sugar – This is just a very refined sugar if you can’t find it refined granulated sugar will work well here too. If you wanted this to be refined sugar free however, then 2 tbsp of maple syrup/honey will work well here.
- Plant-based milk – I used MIGHTY skimmed milk made from pea plants but almond, oat or soy milk will work well here too.
- Lemon Juice – from approx 3 large lemons
- Turmeric – This provides the classic yellow curd colour. However, as turmeric is quite pigmented you only require just ¼ of a tsp
- Cornflour – This will help thicken the curd.
Best recipe for lemon curd
How do you make a lemon curd. Step by step instructions.
Begin by heating together all the ingredients into a pan. Over a medium/hih heat over the stove. Make sure to stir the curd consistently to prevent any lumps from forming.
You’ll be able to tell the curd has thickened if it can coat the back of a spoon. It shouldn’t run off the spoon but be able to coat it like a white sauce.
Once thickened remove from heat and pour into a mason/glass jar. However, if your curd has lumps simply sieve it on top of your glass jar.
Allow it to cool at room temperature and enjoy on a slice of toast or in your favorite dessert.
Refined Sugar free alternative.
If you wanted this to be refined sugar free simply substitute the sugar for, 2 tbsp of maple syrup/honey.
FAQ’s for lemon curd and it’s uses
What to do when lemon curd won’t thicken?
If you find after 10 mins of constant stirring that your curd hasn’t thickened. Then mix together a tbsp of cornflour with 3 tbsp of milk.
Then mix this until the cornflour has been completely incorporated, and pour it into your curd and continue mixing for a further 3-5 mins and you should notice it thicken.
How much cornstarch to thicken lemon curd ?
You should only need 3-4 tbsp of cornflour to thicken this lemon curd.
How long does it take to cook lemon curd ?
It usually takes 7-10 mins for the curd to begin to thicken.
How long does lemon curd last in the fridge ?
Lemon curd will keep in an airtight container in your fridge for up to four weeks.
What can I use lemon curd for ?
Here are some examples of lemon curd recipes
- Lemon curd dessert ideas – Lemon curd for tarts, lemon curd tartlets, lemon curd pie
- Lemon curd filling – Lemon curd cake filling, lemon curd thumbprint cookies
- Lemon curd breakfast ideas – Lemon curd on toast, in crepes, on scones
Storing and freezing
How long to freeze lemon curd before it expires ?
If stored in an airtight container, lemon curd can last up to 6 months in the freezer.
Make sure to tag me @whiskmefree on Instagram and leave a review below if you made this lemon curd vegan recipe. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card or on any of the photos above. Happy baking!
The best recipe for lemon curd.
Lemon curd vegan recipe
- 120 ml Lemons (approx 3 lemons)
- 80 g Sugar
- 4 tbsp Cornflour
- 480 ml Plant based milk
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- Mix the cornflour and milk together in glass until the cornflour has been completely mixed in.4 tbsp Cornflour, 480 ml Plant based milk
- Then pour all the ingredients into a pan, and stir consistency over medium heat, until it begins to thicken.120 ml Lemons, 80 g Sugar, 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- Once it begins to thicken/the curd coats the back of a spoon. Remove the pan from the heat and pour into a glass jar.
- Once cooled, enjoy the curd on toast, in tarts or whatever you fancy!
Please leave me a star review below or share as it will help my blog grow so I can keep creating these recipes for you.
© Leena. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.