Have you been searching for the perfect carrot cake recipe, for a gluten and dairy intolerant person but were unable to find anything?
Perhaps you were able to come across a couple of recipes. But I bet one thing, those recipes will 99% of the time won’t produce a thick, fluffy, perfectly spiced cake like this one! Just like you’d expect a mary berry carrot cake to be, but this time gluten, dairy and soy free!
I don’t know about you but it doesn't get better than that.
Trust me, you're going to love this. Follow the recipe and you can’t go wrong.
- 6 inch gluten free carrot cake recipe
- Dairy free and soy free carrot cake
- Gluten free carrot cake doves farm (gluten free flour)
- Best gluten-free carrot cake
- Easy gluten-free carrot cake
- Carrot cake gluten-free
- Dairy free carrot cake recipe
- Best gluten free carrot cake with cream cheese frosting
- Carrot cake recipes
- Moist carrot cake recipe
Then you're in the right place. This recipe covers all of that.
Master the art of baking GF, DF & Vegan
Baking Free From 101
What's in dairy free carrot cake recipe
The gluten free carrot cake recipe
To make the best gluten free carrot cake mix, begin by sifting together all the dry ingredients (GF Flour, Cinnamon, Xanthan gum, Mixed spice, Baking powder, Baking soda and sugar) into a bowl. Mix until combined and set a side.
In a stand mixer whisk together the eggs and sugar for approx 4 mins until it becomes pale and thick enough to draw a figure 8.
Then you want to pour in the oil and continue to whisk. Slowly fold in the dry ingredients and add the grated carrots and walnuts.
Transfer batter evenly to 4x 6 inch round cake tins and bake for 1hr or until sponges are golden brown and spring back when touched.
[What frosting is on carrot cake - well that would be cream cheese icing. But might be wondering - well that's not dairy free. But actually you can now find some pretty awesome dairy free/vegan alternatives like the one from violife!]
As the cakes cool, make the dairy free cream cheese - the best frosting for carrot cake
You can follow my recipe here to make the best vegan/dairy free cream cheese frosting.
To layer this cake, begin by dolloping a spatula of cream cheese, spreading it evenly between each layer, continue this until you reach the last layer.
Once the last layer is on you want to cover the entire cake - sides and top with the icing so any gaps are filled.
For a rustic look, simply using just the tip of your spatula run it around the cake making sure to keep it on the cake as you make way up and around the top of the cake. [should be left with a spiral looking design]
With any spare walnuts, simply crush them into a crumb consistency and neatly create a border with it on the top edge of the cake. Then with your fondant/chocolate/buttercream carrots neatly arrange them on the side of the cake with an even gap between each.
A masterpiece to be enjoyed by all and I tell you what your non-dairy/gluten free guests won’t even be able to tell the difference!
How to make gluten free carrot cake moist
Gluten free cakes in general tend to be dry and crumbly which is why it is important to master the methods to get a moist, fluffy, risen cake with body.
And one of the ways to achieve this specifically with carrot cake is to add the right amount of grated carrots. As this adds great moisture to the cake, but be careful not to add too much as this will lead to a very dense cake.
Xanthan Gum is also key to this recipe to add stability to the cake and prevent it from becoming crumbly.
Master the art of baking GF, DF & Vegan
Baking Free From 101
What's in gluten free carrot cake recipe:
Wondering what is carrot cake made out of? Well it's actually nothing too fancy at all, it's just:
- Electric mixer
- 4 6 inch cake tins
- 375 g Plain gluten free flour
- 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 375 g Caster sugar
- 250 g Finely ground walnuts
- 2 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda
- 4 large Eggs
- 350 ml Vegetable oil
- 250 g Finely grated carrots
- Cream Cheese Frosting Refer to notes
- Chopped walnuts to decorate (optional)
- Chocolate/Iced carrots (optional-refer to notes)
Making the sponge
- Preheat your oven to 185°C. Grease and flour an 6" round tin and set aside.
- Whisk eggs and sugar in a stand mixer/electric whisk until pale and fluffy-should be thick enough to draw a figure 8.375 g Caster sugar, 4 large Eggs
- Pour in the oil and continue to whisk, then add the grated carrots. Mix until combined.350 ml Vegetable oil, 250 g Finely grated carrots
- Sift in all the dry ingredients and crushed walnuts and whisk on low speed.375 g Plain gluten free flour, 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum, 250 g Finely ground walnuts, 2 teaspoon Ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon Baking Powder, ¼ teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda
- Transfer batter into 4 deep 6 inch cake tins and bake for 60-90mins. Or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Make the cream cheese icing as the cakes cool.Cream Cheese Frosting
- Once the cake layers are baked and are completely cool, dollop a teaspoon of cream cheese icing on a flat plate you’d like to serve your cake on and place the first layer on top of the cream cheese icing dollop - this will keep it steady when icing so the cake doesn't move.
- Then dollop around a tablespoon of cream cheese frosting between the layers spreading around the layers evenly as you work your way up.
- Then to crumb coat the cake (optional - refer to notes) Simply ice the top and side of the cake, with a thin layer of icing. Freeze for 30 mins to lock in all the crumbs and prevent them from being spread all over the cake. Once set - it should be set that when touched no icing is left on your finger.
- Ice the top and sides of the cake again with a slightly thicker layer of icing and run your palate knife all around, working your way all around the cake to create a bumpy spiral effect.
- Finally decorate with crushed walnuts and mini icing carrots. I used 'Baked with Love' iced carrots.250 g Finely grated carrots
I’d love to hear your thoughts on this dairy free carrot cake recipe. Did it turn out as you expected?
If you have any recommendations for any other recipes you’d like to see, say gluten free chocolate cake, vegan blondie cookies or even healthy gluten free layered cake?
Let me know in the comments below.
© Leena. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.