This almond cake gluten free recipe is my not so traditional vegan style bakewell tart. It is essentially an eggless almond cake that’s moist and composed of cherries and infused with almond. And pairs so well with vegan custard.
Why you’ll love this almond cake gluten free recipe.
- It’s completely vegan and gluten free
- It’s much healthier than traditional bakewell tart and is low carb and keto friendly.
- Requires less than an hour to put together.
Expert Baking Tips For This Gluten Free Almond Cake Recipe
Although the recipe for this homemade almond cake is super simple to make here are just a few expert tips i’d recommend:
- Make sure to properly grease and flour your tart tin before pouring in the batter to prevent it from sticking. Here is a guide on how to prepare any tin perfectly – Baking 101 – How To Prepare Any Cake Pan
- Add your cherries at the same time you add your flour this way the cherries will be coated in the flour as you mix it in. This will prevent the cherries from falling to the bottom of the cake. Allowing them to be evenly distributed throughout.
Master the art of baking GF, DF & Vegan
Baking Free From 101
Bakewell tart ingredients
This recipe features NKD Living’s almond flour and Erythritol sugar which is completely sugar free and keto friendly.
Almond flour contains fewer carbs than regular wheat flour, making it great for those following a keto-diet.
Similarly Erythritol is a naturally derived extract from fruits and plants. And passes straight through your body undigested. Therefore, erythritol does not affect blood glucose levels and has zero net carbohydrates! Making it the perfect sugar alternative for diabetics, low carb “keto” dieters.
Almond cake gluten free recipe
How to make a bakewell tart/Step by step video
To make these you want to begin by mixing the milk and vinegar together to make the ‘buttermilk’ set aside for 5 mins. Then whisk together all the dry ingredients until fully combined in a separate bowl.
Add the oil to the ‘buttermilk’ then pour into the dry ingredients, then whisk until combined. Now fold in the chopped cherries, being careful not to over mix.
Transfer to your tart tin and sprinkle with some flaked almonds. Finally, bake for 20-25mins or until golden brown and springy to the touch.
Slice and enjoy with a serving of custard.
If you didn’t want to make this tart vegan and gluten free simply substitute the gluten free flour and xanthan gum for normal self-raising flour and the plant based milk for normal whole milk.
Is this a vegetarian almond cake recipe ?
Yes, this cake and custard is suitable for vegetarians as it doesn’t require any gelatine .
How is this bakewell tart gluten free ?
Yes, this tart is completely gluten free. However if you would prefer it wasn’t gluten free then check put my tips above for a non gluten free substitute.
Is this a recipe for a traditional bakewell tart from bakewell and what is bakewell tart?
This recipe is not like a traditional Bakewell as a Bakewell is usually made with a pastry base, jam then cake. This recipe is however very similar in taste and a lot easier to make. Perfect for beginner bakers.
Is this almond cake with ground almonds ?
Yes this cake is made with ground almonds to create that moist texture and infuse the almond flavour.
Storing and freezing
This tart can last up to 3-5 days when stored in the refrigerator. But is not suitable for freezing.
Make sure to tag me @whiskmefree on Instagram and leave a review below if you followed this almond cake gluten free recipe. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card or on any of the photos above. Happy baking!
The vegan bakewell tart recipe :
Vegan Bakewell Tart
- Tart tin
- mixing bowl
- 80 g Almond Flour
- 120 g Gluten Free flour
- 1 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 200 g Erythritol Sugar
- 240 g Plant based milk
- 1 tsp Apple cider Vinegar
- 60 g Olive oil
- 100 g Flaked Almonds
- 100 g Cherries [fresh/frozen]
- Vegan Custard optional
- Start by mixing the milk and vinegar together to make the 'buttermilk' set aside for 5 mins.240 g Plant based milk, 1 tsp Apple cider Vinegar
- Whisk together all the dry ingredients until fully combined in a separate bowl.80 g Almond Flour, 120 g Gluten Free flour, 1 tsp Xanthan Gum, 1/2 tsp Baking Powder, 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of soda, 200 g Erythritol Sugar
- Add the oil to the 'buttermilk' then pour into the dry ingredients.60 g Olive oil
- Whisk until combined. Then fold in the chopped cherries, being careful not to over mix.100 g Cherries
- Transfer to your tart tin and sprinkle with some flaked almonds. Bake for 20-25mins or until golden brown and springy to the touch.100 g Flaked Almonds
- Slice and enjoy with a serving of custard.Vegan Custard
Please leave me a star review below!
© Leena. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.